This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

What are noods? And no I’m not talking about the nudes; I’m talking a different kind of cuisine that has taken over the Sun City. When one plans to visit El Paso, Texas they usually think of Chico’s Tacos or the authentic Mexican food, but I’m here to tell you that there is a new taste that is in El Paso.

But where did this dish come from? What is the history behind it? Let me start with that it all started in Japan. Usually, when one thinks of Japan, they think of sushi, which is not wrong. But there is so much more to Japanese cuisine than just sushi and rice.

Before I get to my favorite ramen restaurants in El Paso, let me give you some history behind it and the ingredients it consists of. 

First, the origin of the ramen, although it is made in Japan, it is originally from China. The term lao mian, which means “handmade noodle.” Some other nicknames china soba and chūka soba. Ramen noodles started at the beginning of the 19th century in Chinese restaurants in which they only supplied ramen made with noodles in a broth flavored with salt and pork bones. In the year 1958, Andō Momofuku had invented the instant ramen and was voted the biggest Japanese invention in the 20th century. Now, of course, we, as college students we should know the popularity of instant ramen because you find some in every college students dorm room.

The main ingredients of a ramen dish are wheat noodles and broth. The noodles are made of wheat flour, water, salt and kansui (mineral water). The soup is made with chicken or pork stock. Among the broth, the common ingredients are shiitake mushrooms, katsuobushi (skipjack tuna flakes) kombu (kelp), niboshi (dried baby sardines), beef bones and onions. What you can do to add flavor are soy sauce and Miso soup. With the toppings the most popular boiled eggs, nori, and corn.

Now that you know the history and the ingredients of a ramen I’m going to introduce you to the places in El Paso where you can find this deliciousness.

• Kaedama

Kaedama first started out with a food truck and has grown to a successful brand. Their food, their ramen, let me tell you is amazing. Whenever I am in El Paso or come back to El Paso, this is always one of my first stops. They have great customer service and the owners are sweethearts. Love them and their food so much. The environment is also very relaxing; it’s the perfect place to go on a rainy day.

Instagram handle: @kaedama915

Here are the location and the hours of operation

• 204 Boston Avenue 79902 El Paso, Texas

Mon

12:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Tue

12:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Wed

12:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Thu

12:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Fri

12:00 pm – 12:00 am

Sat

12:00 pm – 12:00 am

Sun

Closed

Photo by: Jocelyn C.

• Nishi Ramen

Nishi Ramen is a unique Ramen restaurant, just like Kaedama. The environment is laid-back casual and Japanese influenced. The times that I have visited, I have always received the best customer service. Nishi changes their menu every once in a while, so when you go I recommend you to be open to whatever is on the menu. Last time I went over the summer I had the Bourdain. I loved it. They have a variety of desserts and drinks at Nishi. You can get your meal with a Mexican coke, iced fruit green tea, water, and sparkling green tea. Plan on visiting? here is the location and hours of operation:

instagram handle: @nishiramen

Location:

504 W San Antonio Ave

Ste b

El Paso, TX 79901

Hours of Operation:

Monday: CLOSED

Tuesday: CLOSED

Wednesday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm

Thursday 5:00pm – 10:00pm

Friday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm

Saturday: 5:00 – 10:00pm

Sunday: CLOSED

Photo By: Bobby. G 

Hope when you try these out you all enjoy and thank me later!

Lover of God, Photography, fashion, and food.