I love Kendall Jenner and You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

I love Kendall Jenner and so should you.

I know what you’re thinking: the Kardashian/Jenner clan are everything that is wrong with the world. Some might even say they are the worst thing that has happened to the world since the Holocaust. Despite the negative image that society has of the Kardashians/Jenners as a result of “Keeping Up with the Kardashians”, I believe that Kendall is a good role model for many young women.

“Why?” you ask. “She’s just another model with a strict diet and a body that is a full time job. Why is she any different than Khloe, Kourtney, Kim and Kylie?”

For one, Kendall has never sought the spotlight as her sisters have. You never see Kendall wearing tight dresses and high waisted jeans. Instead, Kendall wears loose clothing and still looks fabulous and effortlessly beautiful. She also doesn’t try to impress the world by posting her workouts and makeup routines on Instagram for the world to see.

Furthermore, to the extent of public knowledge, she is the only Kardashian/Jenner not to have plastic surgery

Kendall’s satisfaction with her natural beauty is what sets her apart form her sisters. Though she has participated in fashion runways for such brands as Michael Kors, Chanel and Oscar de La Renta, Kendall’s style has remained very sophisticated and inconspicuous as when we first met her.

The same cannot be said for Khloe, Kim and Kourtney. In the beginning of the show, we saw them already in the process of ‘faking it up,’ so discontent with their bodies and lives were they. From Khloe obsessively going to the gym, trying to shed unwanted weight, to Kim trying to fill emotional voids with material things and always striving to be the center of attention, to Kourtney’s troubles with Scott, the Kardashian sisters have perpetuated stereotypical female problems, but Kendall has not.

Though at the beginning of her career she was rejected by modeling agencies for both her appearance and family’s reputation, she eventually rose through the ranks, befriending Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld and Riccardo Tisci, and appearing in campaigns for H&M and PacSun, all while maintaining her unique Kendall-ness.

Her style is more practical for you and me. While she may wear $1,500 designer jeans, they are not so very different from a $50 pair of H&M jeans. And when following Kendall on Instagram or Pinterest, you quickly notice how simple it is to have all of her casual looks at casual prices.         

As the Kardashian sisters do not have prototypical runway bodies as a result of extensive plastic surgeries, they have had to rely more and more on their designer fashion line DASH in order to stay relevant. Kendall however, has embraced her natural beauty and by so doing has gained pertinence outside of her own fashion sphere. She has always been the only one in the Kardashian/Jenner family to embrace her natural looks.

Kendall should be admired by young women as a pillar of self-confidence and female empowerment without strictly adhering to feministic values.

Journalism major
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?