How to Plan the Perfect Fall Picnic Without the Hassle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

With Fall finally here, the transition from Summer to Fall doesn’t have to be hard. Instead you can find yourself planning a fun afternoon with friends or that special someone. Maybe you just want to plan a relaxing afternoon for the sake of soaking that delicious Fall weather.  Or if you’re just like me and enjoy planning for fun, you’re in the right place.

My friends and I are what they call “extra” whenever it comes to planning our adventures. Last Spring, we decided to make the cutest picnic. We wanted it to be something straight out of a movie but without the possibility of breaking the bank or overwhelming ourselves. So, now in a desperate need to be in the Fall cheer and with my one-time expertise for planning picnics I can pass my knowledge and help you plan the most important elements for your special picnic as well as getting down to the nitty gritty details without the hassle.

1. Find your perfect location

The location of your picnic will set the mood for your whole afternoon. Research any local parks you enjoy and could be picnic friendly. For our evening we decided on a cute secluded area. Here’s a link for parks in the Las Cruces/ Mesilla area. 

2. Plan your menu

Snacking makes everything better! Choose foods that you enjoy snacking on and aren’t hard to eat outdoors. Food options can go as simple as homemade sandwiches or take-out from your favorite restaurant. We decided pizza was an easy and delicious option for our special day. We made sure to accompany it with our favorite treats like muffins, freshly cut fruits and veggies packaged from Walmart, and a sweet agua fresca from one of our favorite cafes in Mesilla. Plan your menu to your own personal style by choosing your favorite and easy to eat snacks.

Local cafe we got our drinks from: Don Felix Cafe- 2290 Calle De Parian, Las Cruces, NM 88005

3. Create a checklist 

This will make your life simpler. Make a checklist with the things you need to pack. This will make it harder for you to forget some important item for your picnic. The following is a sample checklist with important essentials for your picnic.

• Bug Repellent
  • Sunscreen
  • Sunglasses
  • Blanket
  • Pillows (for comfortable sitting)
  • Basket
  • Speaker
  • Water Bottles
  • Beverage of choice
  • Pizza (food of choice)
  • Snacks
  • Napkins
  • Plates
  • Utensils
  • Hand Sanitizer

4. Figure out the perfect outfit 

Have fun with this! Choose a cute and comfy outfit that you can enjoy yourself in. You know that when you look good you feel good. You don’t have to overdress at all, just choose whatever outfit fits your style and the picnic you’re trying to achieve. My friends and I really wanted to go all out on this. We chose cute spring dresses and comfy sandals, perfect for the occasion. The weather has been nice, so you have a chance to play around with different Fall inspired outfit ideas. If makeup is something you are interested in, go for it! This is an opportunity for you to dress up or casually dress. 

Shein.com has a great variety of sun dresses and all types of clothing at affordable prices perfect for your special picnic! 

5. Have a bomb playlist ready!

This is your opportunity to demonstrate your great taste in music. Choose your favorite music and play it during your picnic. Bring your own style to your special afternoon and sing along with your friends to your favorite jams. If you’re looking for a good playlist for your picnic, attached is the Spotify of the artist we chose to listen to.

MyKey on Spotify: Listen Now

NMSU Senior majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications with an emphasis in Strategic Communications. An awkward individual that just happens to like human interaction. Lover of music, fur babies, and photo shoot sessions with friends. Easily mistaken for twin sister. I write as if I’m writing to my friend.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.