This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

So, yet another thing COVID-19 ruined…great. But this day isn’t just some day, this day is Halloween. The candy and cavity giving holiday that is sure to be thrown to the wind because apparently living in a pandemic means not having fun (kidding…kind of). While this year’s best holidays seems to be a complete wash there are ways to keep the Halloween spirit alive while still being safe. 

While trick or treating might seem like a safe idea, and possibly might be in some places, in most, it isn’t. Even though the risk of transmission might seem low it’s still there and not everyone will be taking the chance. Now while you and your family or friends will be willing to go out, please be respectful of those who choose to not hand out candy or interact with people. If you’re one of those who don’t want to put yourself and others at risk, there are other options. If you have kids, candy scavenger hunts could be a fun thing to do. Hiding pieces of candy and other treats around the house for your child to find is an interactive alternative. Having a small get together with relatives and close friends and putting on a trunk or treat is another way to stay hands free and social distance. A trunk or treat allows people to safely hand out candy from a distance of each other. 

Now if you’re a bit older and want to still have a fun Halloween without the thrill of going out and begging skeptical adults for candy, then hanging with a few friends and having a movie and treat night might be the way to go. If you still want your candy, then find a costume that helps you to social distance. Be creative with it. If that still doesn’t interest you then steal candy from a family member like always. 

For the more adult people out there looking for their chance at Halloween, then Zoom parties might be the way for you to go. This allows a larger group of people to get together and interact without the fear of being in close proximity to others. Now that’s not to say you couldn’t do a small party with a few close people but Zoom means you can drink (if that’s your thing, that is) and not have to worry about how you’re going to get home. 

Video calling is becoming everyone’s best friend now-a-days, so use it to your advantage. While I mentioned Zoom for adults it can be used for any age group, make sure to have supervision for children using the program though. Video calling programs can be used to host pumpkin carving and costume contests and even just something as simple as baking together. 

Most video streaming services offer some kind of group or party watch too, for another way to keep in the Halloween spirit. Netflix, Amazon, Disney Plus, even the app, Movies Anywhere offer a way to group watch a movie or TV show. The only downside of using these services is that all parties involved have to have an account for the service being used. Sharing accounts, if you’re comfortable with it, might be a way to get around this rule. 

While Halloween might look a bit different this year, it’s still going to happen. So, buy the costume and candy, get all dressed up and get together with friends and family (while still being safe), because while COVID can ruin a lot we should still have a little fun in our lives. 

I’m a Journalism and Media Communications major at NMSU with an emphasis in Public Relations and Journalistic Advertising. I am also a quadruple minor in Marketing, Advertising, Sports Marketing and HRTM. I’ve always considered myself a creative person with a lot to say and my career path gives me the chance to express that to the fullest extent. Like I always say: You have to love what you do to do it with any love.
An Art History major with a minor in Museum Conservation. Interested in Photography, Art History, Art Law and travel.