This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Warning: Some Spoilers maybe?

All college students have bad nights, but none have probably had a night like Tree Gelbman, played by Jessica Rothe, in the movie “Happy Death Day” directed by Christopher Landon. Gelbman is a typical sorority girl living it up in college until she is murdered one night by a mysterious killer in a baby mask which is also the face of the school’s mascot. Gelbman wakes up to the sound of her phone ringing “It’s Your Birthday” and is freaked out completely because it is the same day as her “yesterday” again. She keeps reliving the day she was killed, which happens to be her birthday, until she finds out who her killer is.

The movie is a little less than 2 hours long and rated PG-13. The length and the rating of this movie was perfect. I personally do not like long scary movies, I prefer shorter ones just to feel a little bit of a thrill. The movie included many scenes of Gelbman being murdered but each time there was some humor involved which made the scene more funny than scary which I liked. I am sensitive to scary images and killing scenes so this was just the right amount of scary.

There were many different elements to this movie that made it worth watching. It was well scripted and the characters were well thought out. Gelbman was a great lead character because she had many people around her that could be the killer. This made the movie suspenseful and always kept me guessing. Even when I thought she had figured out who her killer was, it was actually someone else.

One of the best things about the story line is that Gelbman had someone to help her, Carter Davis played by Israel Broussard. Davis was not only very handsome but he was also very nice and respectful of Gelbman since the very beginning. He was the first one to really care about what was going on with her and start to take action to help her. After Davis helps her make a plan to find out who her killer is, Gelbman has a new sense of hope that she will get through this horrid day she keeps reliving. She wipes off the makeup running down her face in the morning and she even walks around the college campus naked in one scene because she knows she will wake up and the day will be restarted again.

There are other elements to this movie that make it amazing but you will have to watch it yourself to find out! Don’t Worry! It’s not too late to watch a Spooky movie in theaters! Happy Death Day and other scary movies will still be in theaters for a while! Also you can read about some fun facts about the making of Happy Death Day

Angela is a graduate student at New Mexico State University majoring in communication studies. She is currently a contributing writer for NMSU's Her Campus chapter. When she is not writing, you can find her at home talking up a storm with her closest friends through Zoom.
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.