This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner and to prepare why not binge on a spooky television series this weekend? Granted, not all of these are super spooky, but they will surely get you in the Halloween spirit. Now go turn on your TV or laptop, make some hot cocoa and snuggle up with your favorite blanket, because it’s time to get binging.

Available on Netflix

The Haunting of Hill House

Based on the book by Shirely Jackson, this series is seriously spooky. Mystery, ghosts, and unnecessarily large houses make for some classically good horror. Now, there are lots of ghosts in this show and many of the fans even tend to miss. Combine that with some family drama and that makes for some good TV.

Death Note

Give a teenager the power of God and what do you get? Well you’ll just have to watch to find out. When a teen comes in contact with a book that causes the death of people when you write their name in it, he gets a little power hungry. This anime is full of suspense, intrigue and obviously, death. It’s only one season, but you’re gonna wish it was longer. The thrill of the chase keeps you hooked and the characters are very well written and realized.

Santa Clarita Diet

Two words to describe this show are bloody and funny. Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant are hilarious together and make for a fantastic on-screen pair. When Sheila (Barrymore) suddenly becomes a zombie, the Hammond family suddenly has a lot to work through. Zombie life isn’t easy when you’re a suburban mom with two kids and a husband. Watch as Sheila tries to look alive all while being dead.

Available on Amazon Prime

Lore

Based on the popular podcast with the same name, this series tells a new story every week from real inspirations of the things that scare us most. Learn how vampires, werewolves, bodysnatchers and more are rooted deep in human history through the historical events that created them. The fact that the events depicted in this show, just makes it that much scarier. It’s really surprising what horrible things human beings are capable of.

True Blood

Sexy vampires is the name of the game here and I’m personally not objecting. In a world where vampires are just as common as humans, trouble always seems to find Sookie and her friends in rural Louisiana. When she meets mysterious vampire Bill, her world is turned upside down when she becomes exposed to the underground world of the undead and other mythological creatures. You just need to let this show fully consume you to fully enjoy it. It is by no way conventional and by no way clean. This show gets down and dirty, but that’s one of its charms.

Teen Wolf

When I heard of a show loosely based on the Michael J. Fox film with the same name, my expectations weren’t high, but this show is surprisingly entertaining. It’s a dark teen drama with werewolves, what’s not to love? This show has it’s good and bad moments, but it’s definitely worth giving a shot. Filled with teen angst and mythological creatures, this show creates some incredible drama. With a cast you’ll love and some avant garde plot lines, Teen Wolf is a lot more than people tend to give it credit for.

Available on Hulu

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The title of the show should give you a bit of a hint about what it’s about. Buffy Summers is the chosen one who is destined to fight of the vampires, forces of evil and save the world. This show helped spark my feminist awakening. This show can come off as campy at some point but it is honestly so good and a personal favorite of mine.

Castle Rock

Set in the spooky world of Stephen King, this Hulu original is great at building suspense. Henry Matthew Dever comes home to find it full of mystery, but the town of Castle Rock isn’t new to that kind of thing. This town is tainted in the sins of its residents and everything is hitting the fan.

Oh, and there’s a young man who was recently found in the basement of Shawshank prison. So there’s that.

Happy Halloween everyone! Go forth and binge!

Raised in El Paso, TX, an avid feminist that loves her dog and the written word.
International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!