This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Georgia Brown is a sophomore at New Mexico State University, where she is majoring in Food Science and Technology out of the College of Agriculture. She is extremely interested in plant-based supplements and diets. Supporting the agricultural aspect of diets and foods is ultimately what inspired her to follow this particular degree.  

Brown is also a swimmer for the NMSU swim team and has been an active swimmer for the last five years, a feat that she is extremely proud of regardless of how challenging it is athletically. She grew up playing various sports, but she believes that swimming is what has challenged her most. With the help of her teammates, Brown believes she has broken down a lot of barriers and has become a more confidant person due to the sport. 

Would you say swimming is your favorite sport?

No! Soccer is my favorite sport of all time. It’s fun and it brings the whole world together.

Who’s your favorite soccer team?

Manchester City. It’s where I’m from.

What’s your favorite dish?

I love Brussel sprouts and salmon. I love salmon so much. I love all kinds of vegetables.

Have you ever been in a serious relationship?

Yes.

Do you have any relationship advice?

I think that relationships should be fun and easy. A lot of people say you should work through a lot of problems, but I really don’t think so. I think you should always be happy. There are small problems you should work through, but you should always think about yourself first before you think about the other person. It’s bad, but it’s just how I feel. Just think about yourself.

Did you grow up in New Mexico?

I was born in England, then I was raised in Dallas and then I came here for swimming. Now I live here.

Do you have any family that is currently in England?

All of it. I only have my mom and dad here, and they still live in Dallas. They come down sometimes.

Do you ever find yourself getting homesick every now and then?

No, I love Las Cruces; it’s my favorite place in the world. I’ve been to lots of places but I just love Las Cruces. I love the culture and how slow it is around here. I love Hispanic culture and I love how natural everything is.  There’s so many small businesses here that we can support. That’s my favorite thing.

If you could change the world in one way how would you do it?

I would love for everyone to start shopping locally and have more of an effort into giving back to the local community. Agricultural business is really hard; it deserves a little bit more of a stage around how difficult it is. It’s so pure and real. You don’t just start a farm. Usually its like a family thing and its been in the family for a long time. I really like that.”

Was your family’s farm in the family for a long time?

It still is.  We have like a big rhubarb farm in England and its hard to own land in England so they’re never going to give it up, obviously. It’s been in our family forever. My dad didn’t want to work on the farm, he wanted to give us a lot of opportunities and stuff, so he moved us over to America and that’s why we came here.”

Who has been the most influential person in your life?

My dad. My dad was the coolest guy. He played professional rugby in England and he went to four different colleges. He has four degrees. He’s like a prodigy and he is so hard to live up to. I just respect everything he has done for me–everything he has done for the rest of the family. I know he left England because he wanted to give me a better in life, but he also left the rest of the family in England with the farm. I know he kind of regrets that, but I think he made a really good decision because I have an amazing life. It’s all thanks to him.

If you could tell the whole world something that you believe they really needs to know, what you tell everyone?

Eat your vegetables!

My name is Carlos Trujillo and I am a junior at New Mexico State University who is pursuing a bachelor's degree in photojournalism and a minor in digital filmmaking.  I am from the beautiful Española Valley in the heart of northern New Mexico. I was brought up with family picnics in the mountains near Truchas, running barefoot down irrigated rows of crops in my grandfather's farm in Chimayó,  and participating in the annual matanza with my uncles (it was always my job to skin the heads). My childhood was truly one of a kind-I'm thankful for that.  Aside from 'the Valley',  I have also lived in Albuquerque, NM, Las Cruces, NM, and Ann Arbor, MI. When I get older, I'd love to travel and meet people from around the world.I was first introduced to photography as a middle schooler when I got my first cell phone that had a built-in camera. My start was definitely modest, but it kept the interest in the art form alive and encouraged me to buy my first point-and-shoot camera in high school. Eventually,  I got my first DSLR from Santa when I was a freshman in college. I've been hooked ever since. I love everything about photography. It's a rare art form that can transcend boundaries and has been used in everything from education to entertainment, and beyond. Photography is a reflection of the photographer. The art offers a unique form of self-expression that I believe is incredibly beautiful. Most importantly, photography has taught me to try seeing the world around me from another perspective. Things are never as they appear to be. Every day is another adventure. Aside from being a photographer, I tend to enjoy the little things in life. When I am at home I enjoy taking walks along the river with my dogs, I adore my mother's red chilé, and the best mornings are the ones when you wake up to a fresh layer of snow...or, at least, a school closure. Fall has always been my favorite time of the year because of my birthday, The Body by Stephen King is my favorite book,  and Oasis is definitely my favorite band. If I could have a conversation with anyone, living or dead, it would have to be Bill Watterson. I hate it when you pour yourself a bowl of cereal and there's no more milk. I also hate stumbling across something that's truly spectacular knowing I forgot a camera. Most of all, however, I hate goodbyes. Until next time,-Carlos  
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?