kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Must-Visit Summer Music Fests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

While April has only just started, summer is right around the corner, and with that comes the inevitable question: What am I going to do? Some may be working, some traveling, and others having to go back home to dear Mom and Dad, but one thing that could top all of that, and will (probably!) allow you to get back in town in time for work, my friends, is a music fest. Now, the number of music festivals taking place this summer is crazy high, but luckily I am going to provide you guys with a brief list of some of the most promising! So, without further ado, let’s get into it!

• Lightning in a Bottle May 23-28

Get ready to reach total bliss when coming to this festival! Lightning in a Bottle, held right next to Lake San Antonio in Bradley, California, is probably one of the most chill fests on this list, but don’t let that fool yah, because this EDM-based fest is far from lackluster. With group yoga sessions, workshops going from natural medicine to learning trade skills and building relationships with yourself and the world around you, and lying on a giant pool float in a lake, you are sure to have a blast while also getting to listen to some great music from groups like 29 Palms and Goldrush, plus oh so much more.

For more info and tickets, go to http://lightninginabottle.org/

• The Governors Ball Music festival June 1-3

Held at Randall’s Island Park in New York City, the Governors Ball is one of the most popular music fests of the summer. Featuring mini golf, silent disco (yes, silent), many food and drink vendors, and much more, this fest is sure to impress. The lineup for this year is as good as the food, with Eminem, Halsey, Travis Scott, and Post Malone to name just a few, your time here is bound to be a blast!

For more info and tickets, go to https://www.governorsballmusicfestival.com/

• Firefly Music Festival June 14-17

When you hear Delaware, I bet “bomb music fest” is not the first thing that comes to mind, but the Firefly Music Festival will certainly change that! Located in The Woodlands in Dover, Delaware, the Firefly Music Festival is nestled in the woods, this festival comes with many quirks that will be sure to make the experience unforgettable, like the Nook, which is a place for you to chill out in the woods between your favorite acts, in hammocks of course! One of the many different things about this fest is an area called the Pathway, which is a part of the woods that has been turned into a beautiful wonderland with lights strung all over the place. Combine that with headliners like Logic, Lord Huron, Lil Wayne, and Cold War kids, and up-and-coming artists like Justin Caruso, Alex Lahey, and Jade Bird, things are sure to be amazing.

For more info and tickets, go to https://fireflyfestival.com/experience/

• Electric Forest Festival June 21-24, June 28-July 1

If you are someone who likes to learn about new ways to be green and listen to some excellent music while doing it, then the Electric Forest Festival is for you! Surrounded by trees in Rothbury, Michigan, this festival takes place for two weekends, with amazing acts, like Lil Dicky, Marshmello, and many more,. This festival sets itself apart from the rest with a waterpark that you are able to visit while chilling in the forest. Taking its name quite literally, the forest is used as an experimental art piece each year, with lights all around. Also, picking up trash and recycling puts you into the running to literally win tickets for life, as well as spending points for their store.

For more info and tickets, go to https://www.electricforestfestival.com/2018-info/

• Hinterland Music Festival August 3-4

Credit: Paige Kleckner Photography

Last but certainly not least, the Hinterland Music Festival is one of the newer fests on this list, with the first one being held in Saint Charles, Iowa, in 2015. So with that, comes a pretty cheap price for tickets, which will only help add to the fun of discovering this festival while it continues to discover itself. With many vendors, and a good lineup which includes Sturgill Simpson, Tash Santana, Blackberry Smoke and more, this festival is sure to be a refreshing way to end the summer!

For more info and tickets, go to https://www.hinterlandiowa.com/

That does it for the festivals listed here, though there are still many, many more to choose from!I know what you’re thinking, why spend a chunk of money just to go stand around and listen to some music outside? Well, while that may be basically true, the thrill, people, atmosphere, and all-around experience of going to any music fest will be one that will surely stick with you for many years. So figure out your festival wardrobe (face paint is probably guaranteed!) and have a blast. After all, what else are we to do with this life besides live it?

Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.