This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Staying in touch with hometown friends can be hard. It is something many students that go away to college in a different city struggle with, myself included. When you go to college, your life changes in more ways than just one. You are navigating the new college environment while also trying to make new friends and connecting with other students in your classes. Sometimes in college it may feel like you are completely on your own with no one to lean on. The distance from your hometown friends can not only be physical, but mental as well. Adjusting to college can be a challenge when you do not have the support group that you are used to back home. But fear not, there are a few ways to make sure you still stay connected to your hometown friends. 

1. Don’t be afraid to reach out! 

One of the best ways to keep the flame of your friendship burning strong is to try your best to reach out to them and let them know that they are still on your mind. Even if it is not every day, it can be just once a week or even once a month, it is important to keep in touch through Snapchat or texting each other. 

2. Same place, same time, then get together!

Another way to maintain the friendship is find time to hang out when you are in the same place, so if you go home for summer break make sure to set up a coffee date with your hometown bestie to catch up! Even if it is not an all day hangout session, just a few hours of face-to-face conversation can rekindle the friendship. If you are not going home for a break, try and find a way to see your friend another time. 

3. Use technology to your advantage!

Phones and other devices have made it so easy to do so many things that many people did not even dream of doing before. Now you can send messages across the world in an instant! This makes it so much easier then the old fashion way of sending letters to stay in touch with friends. Make an effort to send a cute meme or gif to a friend when you see one that reminds you of them.  If you can’t make time for a face-to-face hangout there is always face time.

4. Watch the same show!

Watching something together even at different times can help you still stay close to a friend that is far away. Some suggestions for some super entertaining shows is The Bachelor, Riverdale, Charmed, etc. All of these shows have at least one new episode that come out each week which helps keep the conversation with your friend about the show new and excited. 

Staying in touch with a hometown friend or a friend you met while studying abroad can be hard but it is still possible to stay close. Whether it be sending a funny meme or just meeting up when you can, even the littlest things can make the biggest difference in your friendship. And has the saying sort of goes, a good friendship can conquer all. 

Angela is a graduate student at New Mexico State University majoring in communication studies. She is currently a contributing writer for NMSU's Her Campus chapter. When she is not writing, you can find her at home talking up a storm with her closest friends through Zoom.