Eating Breakfast: An Affordable Life Changer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

January is the month that marks a new year and new beginnings. Even though this month is almost over, the year sure isn’t, so it is not too late to make a life changing New Year’s Resolution. College has started again and now is the perfect time to start making good decisions whether it be deciding to work out more and eat healthier or being determined to study hard for classes. If you still have not found a New Year’s resolution, I have one for you. Start eating breakfast! Studies from all around the world show that breakfast is the most commonly skipped meal of the day. But like we all know, breakfast definitely should not be a meal we skip!

Negative Effects of Skipping Breakfast

Research shows that skipping breakfast can cause you to eat more throughout the day according to a TIME magazine article titled “Here’s What Skipping Breakfast Does to Your Body” by Amanda MacMillan. Even though overeating does not necessarily mean weight gain, skipping breakfast can affect your body negatively. Some negative side effects of not eating breakfast include feeling fatigued, bad mood, and among women menstrual irregularities according an article written by Dr. Shavon Jackson-Michel.

Breakfast is worth it!

Just a few weeks into the semester many students probably already feel the weight of classes on their shoulders. With classes and student activities, squeezing time in the morning to have a good breakfast can be a hassle, but let me tell you it’s worth it and did I mention affordable? There are endless benefits to having a good breakfast and most balanced breakfasts cost $5 or less. So why not skip that morning coffee and eat a quick breakfast instead?

Best Benefits of Eating Breakfast

The best benefits of having breakfast in the morning is feeling more alert and awake throughout the day. If you start off your day with the one smart decision of eating breakfast, it will lead you to make better health choices throughout the day. Studies show that students who have breakfast are more likely to do better on tests and actually show up to class more often! Some of the long term benefits of eating breakfast are lower rates of heart disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, the American Heart Association reported in 2017.

Things to Eat for Breakfast

From cereal to oatmeal to fruit, there are all kinds of amazing things you can eat to start your day off right. But some of the best foods to eat take at least 5 minutes to prepare, and sometimes in the morning a student might not have that time to spare! The struggle has been real to find quick and easy food to prepare for breakfast. I have discovered that pre-prepared foods are the best to have for breakfast because it is ready to go when you are ready to leave out the door. These foods include fruit, overnight oatmeal, juices smoothies like Naked drinks, yogurt, and granola bars. Fruits like apples and bananas are the easiest for me. And did you know the average price of a pound of apples is just $1.31? These options are all great because they can be eaten when walking to class or driving to work. My personal favorite are overnight oats. Quaker has a cup of single serve overnight oats you can find at most grocery stores for less than $2! If you want to get creative there are also some great overnight oats recipes

Angela is a graduate student at New Mexico State University majoring in communication studies. She is currently a contributing writer for NMSU's Her Campus chapter. When she is not writing, you can find her at home talking up a storm with her closest friends through Zoom.
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.