This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

2021 may have already begun but it is never too late to start planning and dreaming for what you want this year to bring. A great way to stay motivated and think big for this year is to create a dream board or vision board. 

What exactly is a dream board you may ask? A dream board or vision board is a collage of photos and affirmations of one’s dreams and desires. This dream board serves as a physical form of inspiration and motivation. A dream board typically follows the law of attraction and in other words, if you really believe in it, it will come true. 

Although I’m sure dream boards have been a thing for years now, the very first time I ever heard of it was from American YouTuber and influencer Amber Scholl. If you’ve heard about her it’s no secret that she lives large, empowering women to pursue their dreams and follow their hearts with her extravagant and flamboyant lifestyle. Scholl believes that these dream boards have helped her keep her eye on the prize allowing her to achieve everything she sets her heart to. Of course, she emphasizes the importance of remembering that the board doesn’t fully work unless you do. When creating a dream board you can’t just make it and hope all your goals and dreams come true without actually putting the work into it. Therefore, if you really want to travel to that awesome island you must first put in all the work to raise enough money and buy your ticket for the trip. Remember a dream board isn’t magic, and it is also important to make realistic goals but it is an enjoyable and creative way to remind you of your goals daily. 

Dream boards are fun and simple to make. In order to create your own board, the materials you will need are:

• a poster board to serve as the base for your project
  • scissors
  • tape
  • inspirations such as magazine clippings, photographs, and quotes.

When creating your annual dream board it is crucial that before you start pasting your inspirations of what you want for the year, you choose an essential quote that will inspire your whole year. For example, the essential quote that I chose this year is “Attract what you expect. Reflect on what you desire. Become what you respect. Mirror what you admire.” After you have picked your essential quote paste it right on the middle of the board. Once that is done you can begin pasting all of your “wants” for the year. Make sure to be super specific and make it look as real as possible. 

After you are done creating your board the next step is to place it somewhere where you will see it every single day. Whether you place it next to your mirror so you can see it every single time you get ready or by your bed so it is the first and last thing you see, the important thing is to place it somewhere where you will take a look at it constantly to inspire you daily. 

Creating your own dream board will help you focus and work on the things that you hope and desire and can somehow help make them come true.

Now go on and dream big!

Ayleen Escalante is a New Mexico State University Student studying journalism and mass communications with an emphasis on strategic communications.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.