This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

December is one of the most festive times at the border cities of the United States and Mexico. With a majority of people being of Hispanic descent or double nationality, cultural traditions are a part of what makes the borderline so festive during this time of the year.  

Las Cruces is just one of those privileged cities that has the best of both worlds- with American traditions such as Thanksgiving and Mexican traditions such as the Posadas, the people of Las Cruces really enjoy the winter festivities.

This year, NMSU started the holiday cheer with “Noche de Luminarias,” known in English as the “Night of Lights,” on December 6. It is a tradition that started at NMSU in 1984 as a kick-off for the holiday season. The path of candlelights has been a New Mexican tradition that was originated in the 16th century as a Spanish tradition of lighting small bonfires along the roads towards the churchyards for Midnight Mass.

The luminarias are also known as ‘farolitos’ or ‘little lanterns.’ In the 19th century, the U.S. settlers on the Santa Fe Trail would actually hang Chinese paper lanterns, but these would get easily damaged in the wind, so small bags were placed on the ground to illuminate the path instead.

On December 12, 2015, as part of our Mexican heritage, many Catholics celebrate the day of “Our Lady of Guadalupe,” who in 1531 appeared to the Saint Juan Diego, a poor Indian from Tepeyac, at a hill northwest of Mexico City. Every year, the church sings her ‘The mañanitas,’ which is a Mexican birthday song, in the crack of dawn and celebrate her with mass.

Let’s not forget some of the best days of December, when the Posadas come along, and the tamales are of abundance. Every year, a couple of days after the day of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Catholic Church and many Mexican families gather around for ‘champurrado’ and ‘tamales,’ while the kids hit a ‘piñata’ to celebrate the coming of the Baby Jesus.

This festivity stops on December 23, and is celebrated in many Catholic churches or in the neighborhoods. It gathers people together to sing ‘Villancicos Navideños,’ which are Nativity songs, while there is a reenactment of the search for lodging of the Virgin Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem. Everyone gathers around and goes from house to house asking for lodging until they find a home that accepts them. The word ‘posada’ means shelter, which is exactly what the pilgrims are looking for. Once they are welcomed at a home, the doors are opened for the whole congregation to come and celebrate the coming of the Baby Jesus, and they are given food, while the children are taken outside to hit the ‘piñata’ and given candy.

New Mexican traditions are beautiful and filled with color. We suggest that if you want to take part in any of these traditions, look for your local Catholic church for more information such as times and dates. It is definitely something worth seeing and participating in if you haven’t done so yet.

Felices fiestas!

Hi mes amies! I am an avid reader, lover of writing and good music. I am a Senior at NMSU, and soon graduate. I was born and raised in El Paso, TX. I hope to travel more of the world someday!
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?