Dan Martinez: The Weatherman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

While everyone focuses their attention on the Earth, Dan Martinez always had his head in the clouds. His fascination with the weather and broadcasting thunderstruck in college while attending NMSU.

Martinez, 24, is the weekend, evening forecaster at KVIA channel 7 in El Paso, which is the number one station in the area. After being exposed to news & weather at a young age, Martinez knew he wanted to be a weatherman after watching the magic of the green screen.

“It was so cool to see somebody on TV get a chance to show you how the weather was going to be in the future,” said Martinez. “When I was little, I just couldn’t believe the power of weather and the power of a TV forecaster. It’s the main reason people tune in to local TV newscasts.”

Starting at the age of seven, Martinez would set up his own TV sets comprised of various household items such as coffee tables, chairs and bed sheets for the background. With help from his siblings he would record his broadcasts on a VHS Tape with the family camcorder, edit his graphics on the computer and play the weathercasts back for him and his family to see.

College for Martinez, were the years he defined for his career. He earned his spot at various local TV internships and an internship that is few and far between at CNN in Atlanta, Georgia.

“The experience working at the global headquarters for CNN is hard to put into words. The exposure to so many resources around the world makes it a ‘newsies’ toy story,” said Martinez.

Just a semester before graduating from NMSU, Martinez applied and was hired as a weekend weather personality at KVIA. His successes speak for themselves.

With a TV career flourishing, Martinez also had a passion for education. He was always proud of learning and having teachers educate him.

“I always looked forward going to school everyday,” Martinez laughed. “Yes, I was one of those people who looked forward to seeing my teachers and learning about different things.”

Not only is he a weekend TV personality, but he is also a video production teacher at Eastwood High School during the week. So pressure is on him seven days a week. After being inspired by multiple teachers, Martinez wanted to continue his education career to inspire other students to learn and to succeed.

“The passion is what drives me to work in two very competitive fields. However, I want to be help students achieve what I have done and help push them to follow their dreams like I did,” said Martinez.

Photos courtesy of KVIA/Facebook

Ileana Martinez is a senior majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications at New Mexico State. She hopes to accomplish the aesthetics of becoming a great writer and aspires to become a screen writer for movies in the future. She previously attended El Paso Community College and transferred with an Associate of Arts for Journalism. There she was a radio station manager and DJ. She graduated from J.M Hanks High School with the Distinguished Achievement Program. Ileana is trilingual. She has the ability to speak English, Spanish, and French. Her dream is to travel around the world and to observe different cultures in the world. "I always thought that the more you travel, the more knowledgeable you become about the world. It could range from learning a new language or trying new dishes." Her hobbies include reading, listening to music, watching and analyzing movies, and cooking. Ileana strives to be an excellent student, daughter, sister, and friend. She has accomplished so much but craves for more achievements in her future.
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?