IMG 4796jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 4796jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Esther Kang

The College Movie List You Didn’t Know You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Remember what it was like senior year of high school? You had all these expectations and fantasies of what college would be like, right? As a film major, I’m in the same boat, but that’s the fun part about college. Movies are just stories that stir up the audience’s imagination and thoughts. College is its own movie! With that being said, here the ultimate college movie list that ranges from a variety of perspectives:

1. The To-Do List (2013)

Brandy Klark is a high school senior who happens to be Valedictorian and completely oblivious when it comes to interaction with guys. Since to-do lists and agendas are her styles, she applies this to getting the deeds done when it comes to some “real action”. Being goal-oriented gives her some crazy things to accomplish before heading to her new campus life. She learns about herself, friendships, love, and lust. Aubrey Plaza, Rachel Bilson, Bill Hader, and Andy Samberg also appear in this comedy, so grab some girlfriends and play this film if you want a good laugh.

1. House Bunny (2008)

Anna Faris appears onscreen as Shelley, a Playboy Bunny, who lived a fabulous life in Hugh Hefner’s mansion. After being kicked out since she was “too old”, she finds a new calling by joining an awkward sorority. She not only helps these awkward girls gain confidence but also loses the thought of what everyone sees them as. If you’re into happy endings, this movie has a cute one.

1. Pitch Perfect 1, 2 & 3 (2012, 2015 & 2017)

Acapella was never my thing until I saw the Barden Bellas harmonize. The first film takes you through a freshman college experience of making new friends, romance, and discovering secret talents that take you into the second film where singing is a lifestyle and other opportunities come to prepare for life after college. The third film is the viewpoint of college graduates taking on the world with their degrees while still trying to discover themselves in adulthood. This movie is everything because Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) is undeniably relatable.

1. Lady Bird (2017)

The cliche storyline of a California girl aspiring to be a New York art student is actually relatable as well! A disgruntled young girl who prefers to be called “Lady Bird” is like a spirit animal with no chill that just craves the attention and love most of us want. She goes through college application processes to other life processes. This film takes place in 2002, so the style is super retro and cute.

1. The Roommate

College roommates set the tone for what college is going to be like in some way. However, in this thriller, Rebecca and Sara start off on good terms that escalate to some intense vibes. Rebecca is on some other level in this movie, but I can’t say too much because then the plot would be given away. All I have to say is be careful who your roommates are (just kidding). This is just a movie that isn’t based on actual events.

Brianna Ponce is a film major/journalism minor. She's either on set, in a newsroom, or broadcasting college sports. When she's not writing, she's probably watching horror films.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.