This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

I know reading books isn’t as popular as watching TikTok right now, but books can never go out of style (I’ve been watching Sex and the City thus my lingo, sorry). Here are a few book series I recommend that I read a while back that I still think about to this day. We are in the time of COVID-19, so we have plenty of time to get our read on since there isn’t much left to do with our lives, outside of our home. 

Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard 

The Pretty Little Liars book series is a long 16-book series. It is divided into four arcs. The book series got picked up for the TV shows, Pretty Little Liars, so I am sure you know what the books are about. They are a little different though. I have read up to book 13 and finished the TV show series and let me tell you, I love the books more. The TV show was confusing, and the books just made more sense. The plot: four teenage girls Hanna, Aria, Emily, and Spencer are forced to become friends again after their fifth childhood best friend (and leader) Alison, goes missing and an anonymous person named ‘A’ threatens to tell everyone their secrets. And let me tell you, their secrets are very scandalous. If you were not a fan of the TV show but liked the concept, the books are way better and you should give them a try. 

Burn for Burn series by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

We all know the book To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before that was made into a movie, well that book was written by Jenny Han and the trilogy book series Burn for Burn was written by her as well alongside Siobhan Vivian. The plot: Mary is a shy girl who moves back to Jar Island, where she grew up. She goes back to hurt the boy that hurt her. Lilia is a popular girl who is tired of being treated badly by her “best friend”, Rennie, especially after what happened that summer. She wants revenge. Kat used to be best friends with Lilia before Rennie took her away and now she is known for being the freak of the school. The three girls become friends because of the same motive, revenge on the ones who hurt them. This series has a plot twist that no one saw coming. It is a must-read. To me, it is so much better than the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before trilogy. 

The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han 

Another great series by Jenny. This woman, wow, chef’s kiss. I have read all her three-trilogy series (To All the Boys I’ve Loved BeforeBurn for Burn, and now, The Summer I Turned Pretty). This is my favorite trilogy, ever. I cried so much with this series and I know you probably will too (well, if you have a heart that is). I read that this series is going to be made into a TV show!! How exciting!! The plot: Isabel “Belly” spends every summer with her mother and older brother at Cousin’s Beach in the house of her mother’s lifelong best friend, Susannah, and her sons. Susannah’s sons, Conrad and Jeremiah eventually fall in love with Belly and she has to choose who to stay with. I know it sounds like such a cliché but trust me, it is sooooo worth the read. 

The moral of the article, ha ha, is that Jenny Han makes great book series and she is my favorite author due to this. Also, that the Pretty Little Liars books are better than the show *emoji covering mouth insert here*. 

Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.