Wellness

The Best Thing I Did During Quarantine Was Adopt My Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

During quarantine, I adopted a 5-month-old puppy named Diamond. I had been thinking about getting a dog or cat for awhile at this point, and now that I had practically nothing to do in the middle of June, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to get a little fur baby. 

I began looking into local shelters and animal rescues around the city, and ultimately, I scheduled an appointment with the Humane Society of El Paso. At the time, only puppies were available for adoption, and I was slightly worried that I wouldn’t be able to find a pet that was perfect for me because there were so few left. When I walked into the building after having a temperature check, I saw her and I just knew. There she was so timid and very scared. She was the smallest puppy in a room with some very big dogs. She was curled up into a little ball and had the saddest eyes I had ever seen. I then asked to meet her, and we were put in a room to get acquainted with one another. At first, she just sat in the corner and was trembling with fear. As I just sat there with her, she eventually let me pet her and feed her some treats. I was so relieved because I wanted to like me as much as I already loved her. I signed all the paperwork and took her home with me.

This little dog had no trouble making herself at home despite her timid disposition at the shelter. Within five minutes, she was jumping on couches and running amuck. She soon began to show me how playful of a pup she really was. 

The next few weeks, as Diamond got more comfortable in the house, she started to open up, beg for food, and show us how sassy she really is. She now likes to get on the couch for cuddles and absolutely destroy the toys that I buy for her. 

Getting Diamond was the best decision that I made for myself during quarantine. Having been laid off from a job that I loved and not being able to see my friends, I was pretty down in the dumps, but Diamond helped put a smile back on my face. She is my pride and joy and I just love her so much. She comforts me when I’m sad and always manages to put a smile back on my face. I love coming home and seeing her just so excited to see me again. As someone who deals with depression and anxiety, having a lovable little dog in the house has been so refreshing and she helps me calm down on my difficult days. I love having a little creature that just has so much love to give me, and I am more than happy to take all of it. It feels so good to be loved by this little dog, and I’m having such a great time loving her back. I spoil her like crazy, and I don’t regret any of it. She’s my little baby, and I don’t care that some people think it’s weird that I call her that. 

I highly suggest that you give yourself a little companion to make life just a little less boring, especially in these difficult times. It would also help out your local shelter, and give a sweet little creature some much needed love. 

Raised in El Paso, TX, an avid feminist that loves her dog and the written word.
An Art History major with a minor in Museum Conservation. Interested in Photography, Art History, Art Law and travel.