Life > High School

5 Things I Wish I Could Have Told Myself in High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Highschool can be a trying time for anyone. It isn’t a time for fitting in, dating the “popular” kid, or becoming prom king of queen. It’s a time for new beginnings, finding yourself, and striving to reach your goals.

I’d say that my high school career went pretty smoothly for the most part. I went to high school in a very small town with many of the same students that I started kindergarten with. This doesn’t mean that we didn’t have our fair share of drama though. Fights, bullying, and peer pressure were a given. Although through the years we learned that we were all more like family than anything else.

Life is full of unknowns when starting high school. For this reason, there are a few things I wish I could have told myself in advance before embarking on this journey. These pieces of advice include:

• Mom knows best.

Many teens rebel against their parents or guardians during their high school careers. This can lead to mischief, arguments, and distrust on both parts. Your mom was once a teenager too. She has been through many walks of life, and despite your impression that you know everything at the age of 16; you do not! Listen to your mom and remember that she is the amazing woman that brought you into this world. She has goals, aspirations, wants, and love for you that can never be compared to any other force in this world.

Your mom only wants to help you and see you succeed. She may show you tough love sometimes, but she always has your best interest at heart. She will always try to protect you; body and soul.Remember that she will always be your rock. She will be there after the arguments and through the heart breaks. She will have a look in her eyes that you will later recognize as understanding. It is a look that wish she was unable to have because you know that she couldn’t produce it unless she had once felt the same way.

• Your grades matter, but other things matter too.

Throughout your entire academic career you have been obsessed with your grades and exceeding your academic goals. I want you to know that there are other things that are important too, and you need to set time aside for these things. There will be many opportunities presented to you throughout high school. Take the initiative to confront these opportunities head on. You do have time for them, and you will be happier for trying new things.

You will do great in high school because you are hard working and determined. You deserve a break from time to time. Don’t forget to set your friendships at the top of your priority list. Academics are important, but once you graduate and begin college you will start all over again. Meanwhile, some of the friendships that you build during your high school career will be everlasting. You can lean on these people for the rest of your life.

• Appreciate living with your parents while you still can.

You may get tired of always hearing, “my house, my rules,” from your parents. Although you will learn later on in life that nothing comes free. Your parents give you free room, board, food, clothes, etc. Don’t take them for granted. You may not have as much freedom as you want right now, but this freedom also comes with bills and responsibilities.

You will come to learn that the responsibilities that come with adulthood are vast and overwhelming at times. Definitely take time to appreciate everything that your parents give you and the relaxation that comes with these perks. You don’t have to get a job yet, and high school is an adventure in and of itself. You may not have complete freedom, but you don’t want it at this point in your life. Enjoy, be young, and thank your parents. Home is where the heart is.

• Have an open mind.

It can be easy to have a one track mind in a small town. You have not been exposed to many aspects of life, different people and different places. This may put you behind when you enter the great wide world, but don’t be afraid or distant. I want you to research, explore, and be open to others opinions and views. These things are important for you to learn, not only to develop your view of the world around you, but to develop yourself as a person.     

• You can’t please everyone.

Everyone in this world of ours is different, and this means that it is literally impossible to please everyone. Take time through your high school career to analyze who you are as a person. Ask yourself who you want to be, and what makes you happy. At this point in your life, the only person that you should be working hard to please is yourself. Not in a selfish way, rather, I just want you to be proud of who you are.

You will inevitable find that there are people who have things to say about the way that you choose to do things and present yourself. People will try to make you conform to fit a certain profile while you are in high school. I want you to stick to what makes you happy and comfortable. This will give you more confidence and determination to reach your goals and aspirations later on in life. It will also allow you to find yourself in terms of your individuality. Don’t be afraid to be your own person, to be different, and most importantly, to be happy.

I'd consider us friends if you've made it to my profile, so please call me Ruth Ann. I am a senior at NMSU that is studying Agricultural Communications and Journalism/ Mass Media. I love to write, report, and take photographs. I also hope to obtain a career in media and journalism in the near future! Wish me luck!
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.