5 Not So Spooky Ways to Be More Environmentally Friendly this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

With the global Climate Strike that took place a couple weeks ago on September 23, 2019, awareness about our climate crisis is only rising. A large preconception about this continually rising issue, though, is that every person must “save” the entirety of our planet. The problem with having this mindset is that it only creates a sense of anxiety and inability to accomplish being our environment’s savior single handedly. It’s simply not realistic to take on the role of being Earth’s very own Marvel superhero. Never fear, though, to impact climate change, we can start on a simple, individual level by bringing the focus back down to earth and to our own personal lives. If each one of us takes on a small role to implicate a change in our lives, then together we can create a better future for ourselves. Realistically, life gets busy and creating change can be quite difficult to apply practically. We are not perfect, and that’s ok as long as we are conscious about the effects our choices have, and make the simplest efforts to be more sustainable. I’ll even admit, being an environmental science major, I forget or don’t have time to practice all the changes I have made in my life. I occasionally forget my reusable bags and straw *I know*, but to err is human, right? With Halloween coming up, leading a more sustainable lifestyle does not have to be so spooky this season. 

Here are five simple ways to make your life more sustainable for the fall and get into the Halloween spirit, even for the busiest (or lazy) people. 

1. Hit up your local thrift stores!

Shopping at local thrift stores, such as Safe Haven or even Savers, almost guarantees ghoulish finds! Not only does it give you a better opportunity to get creative and unique with your Halloween costumes, but you’re also supporting local businesses and reusing clothing that has already been made. The textile industry is responsible for about 10% of the world’s carbon impact. Make less of that demand by shopping for recycled materials. Plus, most thrift stores sell a variety of decorations on top of killer clothes. One could consider this a win not only for the environment but your wallet too!

2. Let your pumpkins glow with sustainability

This Halloween, try using beeswax candles instead of paraffin candles. These candles are curated by none other than our little friends- the bees, making them 100% free of chemicals, organic, and originate from a renewable source!. This also means that the candles burn clean with very little smoke. Although beeswax candles are going to be slightly more expensive than paraffin candles, beeswax burns at a higher melting point making them last twice as long and brighter. If you think about it, the quality really outweighs the price, and with these beeswax candles, you’ll surely put a spell on visitors.

3. Avoid the cardboard box pumpkin (grave)yard

Along with making the switch to beeswax candles, you can also shop locally for your pumpkin this year. Instead of making a trip to Walmart, or a similar big corporation, and digging for a pumpkin out of a cardboard box, why not visit Las Cruces’ very own pumpkin patch? Mesilla Valley Maze offers a variety of activities such as corn mazes, hayrides, and pumpkin picking. With more than 20 acres and between 50,000 to 100,000 pumpkins grown annually, the perfect pumpkin is out there waiting for you to personally pick it out. Not in the mood to take a hayride out into the field or just too busy? Mesilla Valley Maze also offers pre-picked pumpkins with prices starting at 50 cents! You don’t have to be a witch or wizard to know where the best finds are grown.

4. Shop Organic 

Planning a Halloween soiree? Think about shopping for organic food to serve. Contrary to popular belief, this is do-able, even on a college budget! Going to the Mountain View Valley Market supports locally grown and made food, and is just about a guarantee in tasteyness. Send bone-chilling shivers down your guest’s spines with delicious foods that are not only yummy for them but also the environment. 

5. Give less plastic

Want more ideas on how to be more sustainable in the Halloween food front? Look for candy that has a recyclable wrapper. Individually wrapped candy produces so much waste, the statistics are haunting. Individually wrapped plastic accounts for 30% of solid waste. Some solutions to avoid feeding into that statistic is buying Hershey kisses which are wrapped in aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is safe to recycle, along with candy that’s packaged in cardboard boxes. 

With these five ideas on how to make your life a bit more sustainable this season, there is no reason why you can’t add a bit of green to your Halloween colors this year.

Mykayla is currently studying environmental science and horticulture at New Mexico State University. She is delighted to try everything and anything new, loves adventure, being outside, music, and the occasional pun.
International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!