13 Reasons Why: Are You Watching It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

We all have our guilty pleasures, those shows we cannot seem to stop watching. One episode after the other. No matter how many times we’re forced to turn it off, it becomes addicting. Some of you may be binge watching a show right now titled Thirteen Reasons Why.

The show was added March 31st on Netflix. It is a Netflix original series, the executive producer for the show being Selena Gomez. The story is based on the novel TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY, by Jay Asher.

The story is about a girl who is bullied in high school. The character, Hannah Baker was bullied so much to the point to where she commits suicide and leaves behind cassette tapes as to the “13 reasons why” she did it. Each side reveals all 13 different classmates who contributed to her being bullied.

The message on bullying behind the show is very real, and Gomez wanted to get the message out about how teens today are bullied every day on social media especially.

The show portrays a very real time in which how high school is like today for teens. What teens do at parties, how they talk to each other, and how they treat one another. Also, how teens portray one another on social media and if that factor could bring up a subject of bullying.

With the suicide note being 13 cassettes, it also shows a comeback of old technology. Vinyl’s today is making a comeback, but a lot of teens today are slowly staring to listen to cassettes as well. The show also has one of the lead characters listening to Joy Division on a cassette.

Although the storyline of the show is somewhat depressing, everyone is hooked. In a way, it acts as a mysterious murder movie, in which you would have to watch all the way towards the end to see who the killer is.

The main message of the show is to demonstrate how bullying is still a big factor today. To show how teens are still getting bullied by classmates, now on a social media platform to where the whole world can see. We need to be more careful about what we post on social media, as our generation uses it every day.

Thankfully, there were no spoilers here. But if you have the chance you should watch this show, stay off social media for spoilers!

I am a Journalism Major at New Mexico State University.
Camila is currently a freshman at New Mexico State University and will be the NMSU chapter's campus correspondent. She is working on a major in Finance and a minor in Journalism, is part of a sorority on campus, and also hosts weekly radio shows.