Life > Experiences

10 Ways to Make Your Friends Feel Appreciated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.
  • Send a thank you note! It may sound old-fashioned, but sometimes the sweetest way to show your friends you care is a handwritten note. You don’t need to go out of your way to get fancy parchment either, you can just make your own. For friends that love surprises or small gifts, this is a great way to make their day.
  • Invite them to things and include them in your life! Having friends that flake out on you all the time can be annoying but sometimes you have to accept that these people have their own lives and the nicest thing you can do is to extend an invitation. This works especially well for those friends that are superheroes that go to class, work and manage a thousand extracurriculars. Everyone is flattered at an invitation and the gesture itself is always a great way to show that you care.
  • Compliment them: Don’t be dishonest or fake in any way but when you see your friends, try giving at least one genuine compliment to them. Even with your closest girls, there is always a possibility that there are struggles you have no idea about. You might make their day by noticing their new shoes or eyeliner. Don’t be overly complimentary, because that can come off as suspicious or out of character for some people. Just be honest and kind!
  • Support them: If your friend plays an instrument in a band, or has an art showing nearby, go support him or her! You can show your support by sharing their content on social media if they paint or write, and it’s just a click away. Going to a classical violin concerto might not be the most exciting way to spend a Wednesday night, but it can mean the world to the right friend. Plus, this behavior incites a pattern of reciprocity and you can expect them to show up to your next gig!
  • Let them support you: I know personally I am the type to never ask for help or support but part of the beauty of friendship is always having someone to call for help on your physics homework or to show up to your first poetry reading. In college, it is difficult to be away from your family and sometimes the best way to push past the discomfort and homesickness is by making a close-knit group of friends.
  • Remember birthdays: This may seem super obvious, but birthdays are special celebrations where you can spoil your friends and make it known how absolutely lucky you feel to have them in your life. Spreading birthday joy will also come back karmically to you if you’re lucky!
  • Allow time apart: Don’t spend every waking moment with your friend. No matter how well you get along, you need time for yourself too. If you find yourself with nothing to tell your bestie, you should probably take a break for a couple days and catch up again over coffee.
  • Show up: When your girl calls you after her breakup devastated, make sure you show up with some ice cream and flowers. You can talk about supporting girls all you want but if you don’t make an effort when someone close to you is struggling, you’re not practicing what you preach. Show you care, and try to be there for the people you love. They won’t always be around.
  • Go out of your way: The more you love someone, the easier this step is. It’s not a problem to go out of your way for your best friend of a million years. However, sometimes that girl you had a class with last semester will reach out and it’s always a good idea to show up and grab a bite to eat with her. Who knows, she could be a best friend in the making!
  • Say hi! Finally, if you don’t have too many friends, to begin with, you can always make some. Start by saying hi when you see someone with friend potential. It’s a little step but it can make a big difference. 

International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!