Why You Should Hold Onto Childhood Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

When you start university, things change. More often than not, you’re in a new city, with new people starting a whole new chapter of your life. Most people have to do this on their own, and a first step is making new friends, in your halls or on your course. These people you grow close to, after all, they’re your surrogate family while you’re away at uni. These are the ones you are exploring new places with, moaning about your course, and convincing a mid-week night out is a good idea – “I’ll make sure you’re up for your 9 am, I promise!” These friends are great, and a couple will probably remain your lifelong friends after you’ve left university, but what about those you leave behind? This is a shout out to those important home friends.

Home friends are a whole different kettle of fish than university friends and keeping them in your life means you have variety. If they are not at the same university as you, they could be at a different college or university studying, decided to go straight to work or taking a gap year to travel. Whatever it is, it’s something different to you, giving you more to talk about and be a part of. Friends in different cities mean weekend visits to new and wonderful places, those working are a part of a whole different environment and lifestyle (and did I mention drinks on them?) and those travelling will bring back a wealth of experience and stories you will never tire of hearing. Variety is the spice of life and when you all reunite over the summer, it will be to learn new things about them and share how you have changed.

On a sentimental note, home friends are who you have had since you were in bunches and light up trainers. They have grown up with you and gone through all the trials and tribulations we do when we are tweens and teenagers, trying to juggle homework, puberty and parents. These friends have stuck by you through the hot flushes, tantrums, and breakdowns; your first night out, getting drunk on WKDs and blackouts. The unforgettable stories (a personal favourite of mine is shaving my best friend’s legs for the first time because she was too scared to do it), and shared experiences mean they are friends for life, worth touching base with even if it is just to reminisce about that club you used to go to at eighteen. More than that, they know you the best and helped make you into the person you are today. Invaluable in such a high-pressured and ever-changing world as university, consistency and familiarity should never be understated.

Postgraduate at Newcastle University, studying International Multimedia Journalism. Feminist and passionate about women’s issues, and loves writing for a publication such as HerCampus, aimed at women and keen to give them a voice.