etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why The South Can’t Handle Snow Like The North

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Northerners have this common conception that they can handle anything and any weather. Up here in Newcastle, we are especially stereotyped as going on a night out in just a dress when it’s -4. Typical southern people probably wouldn’t even leave their houses for weeks if it got to temperatures less than 10 degrees. So, why is it that Southerners just can’t handle snow?

The world of the South is its lifestyle, the glamour and the wealthy neighbourhoods and the people who can’t stand the cold. When snow hits any further down the country than Manchester peoples’ lives grind to a halt. People go to the utmost extremes when it comes to a little bit of snow. The tube gets closed, people don’t leave their houses, you name it. Whereas, in the North, people would probably put on an extra layer. The wellies would be by the door all prepared, the warm coat is on the hook and it’s a typical day. Not an eyelid batted.

When it comes to severe cases of snow, the likes of what we have been experiencing recently, the South go all ‘end of the world’ on the nation. School will be shut even for just being too cold and people fear to leave their houses for work. Probably the best thing is when the south clears out the supermarkets with ‘supplies’. The bread isles will be empty, and you will see people queuing for as many pints of milk as they can get their hands on. In the North, we go about our daily lives as normal. The supermarkets are perhaps a little quieter than usual, but we are certainly not going to let a little bit of snow stop us get our morning newspapers.

Okay, so we can maybe give our Southern friends a bit of slack here, after all, they’re not used to such dangerous conditions…It may be a little warmer and a little sunnier down there but when bad weather hits it is as if people living in the North were built to survive the cold and ice. The classic “you’re used to living in such cold temperatures” phrase I so often hear is getting a bit old. It’s snow, it will last a couple of days and then you will be back to your ‘tropical weather’ you so kindly remind us you have when the reality is that its only 2 degrees colder up here.

Being a Southerner has its perks, don’t get me wrong, with the attractive accent, the seamlessly more tanned skin and the ability to always wear a coat without being judged. However, maybe that is the problem. Perhaps Northern people are able to handle the snow so much better because they adapt their bodies to handle such harsh conditions. If you’re always wearing a coat (despite it completing your outfit) your body will start to feel the cold more easily. So, when you laugh at us Northerners only going out in a dress or a T-shirt just think we are the ones who will be surviving the winter snow better than you in your 50 layers.

Charlotte is an aspiring journalist currently at Newcastle University. She loves to write about all aspects of life particularly in the lifestyle and sport section of 'The Courier' newspaper. She is a lover of sport but with a avid interest in fashion too.