Wellness

Veganism from the perspective of a meat-eater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Before I start, I’d like to say that I am not vegan. I am a meat-eating, egg-frying, cheese-grating fully fleshed being. I love meat. But, I do respect those who are vegan and think it is something that we should all consider in the future. We don’t need to eat meat. There is no need. The industry is changing, and society now provides a range of vegan festivals, restaurants and takeaways. Vegan food is creative and allows you to expand your palette, to experience new and colourful foods. There are so many benefits to being vegan (more so than being vegetarian) that should at least tempt us into trying it out.

I think most people decide to go vegan because of animal cruelty. Being vegan means that the majority of your diet is plant-based and so no animals will have been harmed in the making of your meal. There are also many meat substitutes available such as tofu and Quorn, which taste a lot like the real thing and offer a great source of protein. A lot of people also argue that being vegan and being vegetarian is basically the same, however, being vegan cuts out luxuries such as eggs and milk. Eggs from caged hens are harvested in cruel conditions for chickens. They are forced to live in small and overcrowded cages, simply to lay eggs for our consumption. Those eggs could have been chicks!

Another reason to go vegan is to reap the huge health benefits. Being vegan allows for a much healthier, and, often much tastier diet. You’re basically eating a whole heap of plants and leaves. Vegans are a lot less likely to suffer from health-related complications such as diabetes and high blood pressure, because of the vast array of nutrients in their diet. Cutting out meat, particularly red meat, means that vegans are safe from the contaminated fluids in meat. It’s also great for eczema and glowing skin. No need to invest in the latest Fenty highlight, you glow from the inside with a veggie diet!

After the horse meat in bolognese scandal, I think a lot of people made the decision to go vegan. It’s also attractive and seems to go well with other healthy eating trends, like the fruit infused water. Being vegan is a commendable and clean choice, but it isn’t something to jump straight into as it can be difficult to do right. Do your research and buy yourselves some vegan cookbooks to try out some recipes. Go to vegan festivals and experience what there really is to offer. Being vegan can seem expensive,  but buying your fruit and veg from a market like our local Grainger Market, you’ll save a lot more than buying from supermarket chains. It also requires a lot of willpower and commitment, but it can be really fun and tasty.

Being vegan is a choice. It’s your decision, so make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons. And of course, there’ll never be a replacement for bacon.

Simone Kelly

Newcastle '19

I'm an aspiring marketer and have recently completed BA English Literature at Newcastle University. I am an avid creative and enjoy writing poetry, blogging and attending spoken word events. The written word is a way of story-telling and communicating complex ideas in an aesthetic manner. I hope you enjoy my articles. Please check out my up and coming blog page: etherealtruth.com