freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day: Alternative things to do in Newcastle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Valentine’s day is fast approaching, and whether you’re in a relationship or single it can always be a bit of an awkward time. Do you buy your S.O a giant bunch of roses and a teddy (no, always no)? Do go out with your friends and get drunk, or do you spend the whole night swiping right on Tinder?

But you don’t have to rack your brain for ideas anymore – here is a list of alternative things to do on the big day in Newcastle. Single or taken, there’s something for everyone

1. Take a trip to Tynemouth and eat at Riley’s fish shack

Open from 9.30am-9pm, this food shack is perfect for a spot of lunch or a late night meal. Although it is on the pricey side, you can dig into anything you please, including whole lobsters, squid, steak and monkfish, all whilst sipping a pint and sitting in one of their deck chairs. This amazing shack is definitely worth a visit, and don’t worry about the weather – you can sit inside or in front of one of a log fire!

2. Buy a bottle and visit the Tyneside cinema

Take a trip back in time by catching a film at this cinema and settle down with your other half and get something to eat and a bottle of wine (or by yourself, no one’s judging you). With a ‘Valentine’s Date Night Special’ showing of Sleepless in Seattle, this is perfect for those of you who want to do something a little bit different. Tickets are £35 per person, but with the package including a film viewing and a three-course meal, this is an absolute steal.

3.Cycle along the Tyne

Get yourself down to The Cycle Hub and rent out a bike. Weather permitting, have a cycle down by the river or even just go for coffee and a cake. Nothing says romance like having the wind blowing through your hair as your forehead glistens with sweat.

4. Visit the planetarium at the Life Centre

Immerse yourself in the universe, watch amazing space visuals and experience real-time sky shows, all from the comfort of your own seat! For £13 each, this is the perfect way to ‘wow’ your partner and get all romantic, or even just to teach yourself something about our planet. Book tickets here.

5. Go and get drunk at Swingers

Stick to what we know at Newcastle, and just go and have a good time. Swingers is hosting their annual ‘A Swingin’ Valentines Rompy Pompy’, so make sure that you grab your mates and go to a trebles bar, before heading down to Grey’s Club. First release tickets cost £5, but to avoid disappointment make sure you book one now.

6. Run the Valentine’s 10k

Not strictly on Valentine’s Day (Sunday 18th) why not really mix it up and run 10k through Newcastle’s Town Moor? As well as making you extra healthy, it also means you’ll feel like you can burn off all that Ben and Jerrys you ate a few nights before.. get sponsored and run for a good cause, or even just make yourself do it for you. Sign up here.

7. Visit the drive-through cinema in South Shields

Want a different cinema experience? Go to the drive-through cinema in South Shields. Park up, grab some cinema snacks and watch Dirty Dancing on Valentine’s Night. Just make sure you bring a big car and pile all your mates in – you pay £27/car and can fit up to 7 people in. Book tickets here.

8. Saltwell Park

Use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to relive your childhood, and play hide and seek in the beautiful gardens of Saltwell Park and ride in a pedalo. Finishing the day off with a scone in the café, there is no better way to impress your other half!

Journalism, media + culture student // wannabe journalist // Geordie at heart