Top Moments from “The End of the F***ing World”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

“The End of the F***ing World” is a remarkable TV series produced by Netflix. The most distinctive element, in my opinion, is the original format of the story: only 8 episodes, lasting not even 20 minutes. Not only this provides the ultimate “binge-watching” experience but also makes the plot seem condensed and very intense. With that in mind, the writers did an incredible job of creating a deep relation between James and Alyssa with short dialogues, or even without them by music and incredible acting. So watch out if you haven’t watched it, spoilers ahead!

I loved the spectacle of their character development, particularly in those 5 moments:

1. The meeting

She wants to find someone to rebel with, he searches for someone to kill.

When they meet in the school canteen, we witness an entirely new take on “love at first sight”. It might look like pure desperation on both sides, but there is something else. There is kind of magnetism and purity in this incredibly hilarious and awkward encounter.

2. The dance 

What to do after you break into someone’s home? Dance, obviously. 

It is really this moment when we are able to see James open up a little. That was a beginning of his realization that he and Alyssa definitely have a strong bond and maybe he himself isn’t that bad and numb as he initially thought.

3. The makeover

Badass rebel looks finally complete. Curated by Oxfam.

Even though this change was a desperate attempt to try to hide their identity and run from the police, I see this as a makeover of their identity. Changing their hair and clothes was a beginning of a process to seal their new life as a companionship. They split ways for half a day right after that, but then they found themselves again. 

4. The robbery 

First murder, then steal kids. 

Probably the funniest scene in the series. It was also one of the most poetic for me. Not everybody has what it takes to break free and change instantly. Not everybody is ready to deal with the consequences of their rebel life. Even though it is brave to start something, it’s even braver and certainly harder to keep going outside of the comfort zone. This highlighted how James and Alyssa were determined and ready to keep running away together. 

5. The beach 

Probably the most romantic place where it all could have ended. 

I was in tears from start to finish. From the naive and hopeful tone, we knew this story was not going to end well. They got caught and separated forever, but during their short happy times, they have already lived to the fullest they could. James and Alyssa had a special and pure connection and nothing is going to take this away from them. 

Media, Communication and Culture student Newcastle University