Splurge or Save: Winter Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year, its time to party and celebrate the year that has been, to feel joy when giving presents to those we love the most and to spend a shed-load of money

There is no denying that Christmas and Winter can be expensive periods, we worry that we can’t afford to buy the presents we know our friends and families deserve and we worry that we will have to turn down a night out in order to save for the next. But money doesn’t have to spoil our joy. 

We are allowed to spend money on luxuries for ourselves without feeling the guilt of other financial burdens. Where you splurge, you can also save, and here are five ways how: 

1. SPLURGE on a new fluffy dressing gown then SAVE on your heating bills. 

Bills are expensive all year round, but in winter when temperatures dip into the minuses our heating bills skyrocket in our bid to stay warm and cosy. So treat yourself to a new dressing gown, the feeling of softness not only provides welcome relief from the harshness of the outdoors but it also keeps you warm and comfortable no matter the weather. 

2. SPLURGE on a winter jacket then SAVE on the cost of jumpers. 

The winter wardrobes are back and that section of your wardrobe that has been forgotten for months now provides comfort again. It can be hard to accept the cost of winter jackets, the price tag seems to get higher every year but it is a welcome treat when you find the perfect jacket that you can wear religiously until temperatures rise. Find one you love and forget the buyer’s guilt as when you can wear it to every occasion you no longer need to spend extra on a whole new wardrobe of jumpers! 

3. SPLURGE on Christmas Events then SAVE on the cost of takeaways 

As you get older Christmas can lose the novelty and excitement, we are not counting down sleeps until Santa arrives because we are to stressed with assignments and work worries, but there are plenty of things to do in November/December that can give a welcome break. Forget treating yourself to an expensive take away at the end of a stressful week and instead go out and get into the festive spirit. There’s everything from Christmas Markets and Ice Skating to trips to the Theater to fill your day, and they don’t cost as much as you may think! 

4. SPLURGE on a new dress then SAVE on taxi fares. 

It’s party season! Go out and buy yourself an amazing new dress that makes you feel confident, Christmas events are an opportunity to go bold so don’t walk away from that sparkly dress because you might feel too over-dressed. As Oscar Wilde himself said ‘you can never be overdressed or overeducated’. While the dress will motivate you to go out with your friends, you can cut the costs by avoiding surcharges on taxis and opt for other options such as public transport or pre-arranged lifts home. 

5. SPLURGE on a new Yankee Candle and SAVE on air fresheners and scent boosters 

Scents have a lot more importance than we give them credit for, they can help to bring back memories or create a feeling that you link to specific things. At Christmas the smell of cinnamon, ginger and brandy always give me goosebumps and remind me of the season. There are hundreds on the market so don’t be scared to shop around and find the perfect smell for you, spending money on one lasting candle will help you save on the constant spend of air fresheners etc which can mount up to A LOT! 

Laura Bolden is a student at Newcastle University where she is studying Journalism and Media. She is a self proclaimed TV addict and is never too far away from the television set. An aspiring journalist who loves writing about all aspects of life and believe in female empowerment through the media. You can follow her on Twitter @lauraboldenX and Instagram @laurabolden.