I WANNA DANCE! Newcastle Dance Soc Showcase Review 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

The Newcastle Dance Society well and truly lived up to their 2018 showcase name making me ‘wanna dance’. On Friday 27th April Northern Stage held the show’s opening night, starting at 7 pm. With over 200 dancers involved for a mere £7 ticket for students was a bargain in my eyes. From jazz to musical theatre and ballet, to street, this show showcased all styles of dance and at all levels of ability.

As the lights went down and the audience hushing their tones act one began. The opening performance was an upbeat routine with dancers wearing black and shiny costumes bringing the glitz and glam from the outset. This being my first ever dance show I didn’t really know what to expect. Reading the programme for the evening and seeing the word ‘beginner’ I was nervous that these performers might not be able to match up to some of the advanced acts. However, the beginner’s ballet performing to the track ‘Flares’ was phenomenal. Such an artistic and well-choreographed routine where dancers used ribbon batons injecting colour and even more life and energy into their performance. These dancers were certainly not what I was expecting from beginners.

‘Burlesque’ was the track for the musical theatre group where performers mimicked similar outfits and dance moves from the 2010 movie of the same name starring Cher and Christina Aguilera. Varying pace kept the audience on their toes following the dancers every move. This dance routine was the perfect performance to end act one as the audience were more excited and pumped up to see what act 2 had in store for them after such a lively set.

Act 2 started with a bang. Before each act, as the room went dark there would be friends and family shouting performers names in support. The recent number one hit movie ‘The Greatest Showman’ was the inspiration for the musical theatre performers. Dancing to ‘The Greatest Show’, the audience really got behind the dancers clapping away and some even singing along if they knew the lyrics. The atmosphere was once again set, keeping the audience in suspense as to what style would be on next.

Throughout the show, some of the dance society members got to show off some award-winning routines including fresher Elena Corcobado. Her solo performance in the style of pointe was breathtaking. The execution of some difficult dance moves was exquisite to watch. Trio performance by Alex Ball, Ian Wallace and Anna-Rose Fitzsimmons brought comedy to Northern Stage. The act about two manakins coming to life and having a dance-off with a security guard had the audience doubling up in laughter. This witty and very cleverly choreographed routine was one of my favourites from the night.

With the show coming to an end, there was a special performance featuring all of the dance society’s committee and teachers. Songs from the 90’s gave performers from each dance style an opportunity to really show off their skills. Jazz and street teachers took their limelight, gladly giving it all they had for their final performance of the night.

Despite all the fantastic performances by the dancers at Newcastle, I did have a clear favourite. Performed by the advanced contemporary group was a moving and inspirational piece to the track ‘Body Love’. Dancers floated elegantly across the stage as the audience could feel the raw emotion and connection each dancer had to the track. Mary Lambert telling a story in her song about the struggles young females face in society today which I thought was such a powerful performance as the dancers represented the idea of solitude often faced among young women and the hope for all to experience physical love.

Newcastle Dance Society really did make me ‘wanna dance’ and even gave me a bit of inspiration to get back into dancing after 10 years of leaving the ballet shoes in the closet, so I’d really recommend joining the societies if you feel like you’re missing dance in your life!

Charlotte is an aspiring journalist currently at Newcastle University. She loves to write about all aspects of life particularly in the lifestyle and sport section of 'The Courier' newspaper. She is a lover of sport but with a avid interest in fashion too.