How to make the most of Bonfire Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Bonfire Night, Guy Fawkes Night, whatever you best know it by, the 5th November is one of the most celebrated nights of the year. This is a uniquely British tradition that promises to bring a spark of happiness into the gloomy winters night.

Remember, remember the 5th November. This tradition all began back in 1605, when Guy Fawkes unknowingly became a renowned figure in British history for his part in the Gunpowder Plot to blow up King James and his government. They planned to set off over 36 barrels of gunpowder underneath the Houses of Parliament but were intercepted, hence each year on the 5th November we celebrate his failed success.

To me Bonfire Night brings on the feeling of nostalgia as it is such a bright and colourful night, it brings me back to childhood memories of wrapping up in a hat, scarf, and gloves while I wonder at the magic of my sparkler drawing shapes in the cold night sky. This sense of marvel hasn’t faded as I have grown up and it remains my favourite night of the year.

Newcastle and Gateshead are bustling areas of activity. We seem to stretch this one occasion out over several days and this gives everyone the chance to make it to an event regardless of their other commitments. Some are simply local community centres putting on small displays, while others are large displays hosted by local councils and sponsored by local businesses that attract masses of the population and give local businesses a chance to benefit from the crowds.

Whether you’re attending a North-East firework display with friends, family or a loved one, you can enjoy stunning colourful fireworks and festive goings-on right on your doorstep with food, drinks and entertainment to make your evening just a little more special.

Sadly, hand-held sparklers are banned from larger events due to safety precautions, so do check in advance to avoid disappointment. See the list of events in the Northeast to best make the most of the festivities.

Saturday 4th November:

• Fireworks & Funfair Family Race-night at Newcastle Racecourse
  • Newcastle Gosforth Round Table’s annual fireworks display
  • Tynemouth Fireworks
  • Blaydon Rugby Football Club Firework Display
  • Bowes Railway Fireworks
  • Saltwell Park Fireworks
  • Alnwick District Round Table Bonfire & Firework Display

Sunday 5th November:

• Firework Show at Ocean Beach Pleasure Park
  • The Links Firework Display
  • Firework Night at Gateshead Rugby Club
  • Firework Display at Novos RFC, Sutherland Park

Monday 6th November:

• Bonfire Night at Beamish Hall
Hi! I'm Jayme, an English Language student at Newcastle University. I'm an aspiring journalist, editor of the lifestyle section of 'The Courier', and publicity executive of the Her Campus Newcastle chapter.