Career

Her Story: Mandi Watty-Miller, MD of Cogora

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

Hi! Could you please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Mandi, I’m 43 years old and live in London.

I heard that you used to live in Bradford. What made you move to London and do you feel that you’ve been exposed to a greater spectrum of opportunities down south?

I always wanted to live in London after visiting my sisters there over the summer holidays. I applied for a job in the civil service, came for an interview and the rest is history. I do believe that I’ve had more opportunities in London compared to up north, as people up north often remain in the same jobs long term.

Where do you work and what does the company do? What is it like to be the managing director of the company?

The company is called Cogora: The Agency. We work with pharmaceutical companies to help educate healthcare professionals about their drugs. Being an MD can be exciting and challenging all at the same time, as everyone looks to you for the answers and you have to always ensure you’re leading the team.

As a black woman, is this something that you ever thought you’d be able to achieve? Are you even prouder of your current achievements because of this?

Absolutely, I remember an ex-employer doing my annual performance review and saying I could be an MD if I wanted, which I thought were such hollow words when I was fighting for a promotion now. Yes, it does as it shows people that you can achieve anything you put your mind to. You just need to have that drive.

Have you faced any gender/race barriers in the past, which you’ve had to overcome in order to get to where you want to be?

Yes, I have, several times. Due to the type of personality I have, I’ve always strived to prove those people wrong.

I’ve heard that you were in the newspaper when you were younger for quite an interesting feature. Could you tell me a little bit more about that?

Yes, I was the first female apprentice electrician in Bradford.

Have you got any parting words for the young women aspiring to be in your position? Any final words of encouragement for the women of colour who may see you as an inspiration?

You have to believe in yourself, as so many people will doubt you along the way but you must stay strong, stand up for what you believe in. Voice your opinion, ask questions and never lower your standards. These are the qualities that people will notice and will then step up to your level.

Simone Kelly

Newcastle '19

I'm an aspiring marketer and have recently completed BA English Literature at Newcastle University. I am an avid creative and enjoy writing poetry, blogging and attending spoken word events. The written word is a way of story-telling and communicating complex ideas in an aesthetic manner. I hope you enjoy my articles. Please check out my up and coming blog page: etherealtruth.com