Bringing the Green Indoors: Caring for your Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

There’s nothing better than the feeling of fresh air in your lungs on a lengthy hike through the forest or along the grassy hills of the countryside. So why not bring a little fresh air into your own home so you can experience that fresh oxygen every day? In a sneaky process called photosynthesis, plants attempt to absorb the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which reacts with the water to form glucose, releasing oxygen as a by-product. After this process, your room is then left feeling less like a stuffy, damp student flat and more closely comparable to the crisp mountains of Switzerland. In the same way that bottled water tastes that little bit fresher and purer than tap water, your respiration may seem that little bit better with plants around your home, which should definitely be a number one priority for any student.

Caring for a plant can be easier than you think. Unlike a pet, they need minimal consideration and there are wide varieties of plants that require little attention.

Cacti

The cactus is a plant found in particularly dry environments such as the desert in the background of your favourite old Western film. This immediately tells you that there’ll be no need for a strict watering schedule with this around your home. Unlike most plants, cacti tend to store water for lengthy periods of time and so they are able to survive long periods without being watered. This makes them particularly favourable with students who may travel home for longer lengths of time and are away from their plants.

Money plants

The Pachira Aquatica, more commonly known as the money plant, is a thick-leafed plant naturally found in the swamps of Central and South America. As you will have guessed from the nickname, the money plant carries many myths associating wealth and prosperity with ownership. If this isn’t enough for students to start obsessively collecting this plant, horticulturists advise that the money plant need only be watered two to three times a month, making it a perfect indoor purchase.

Herbs

If extra oxygen just isn’t enough, try growing some indoor herbs to save that extra bit of cash at the supermarket. Lots of herb plants can be grown inside such as basil, oregano and mint. These plants may require a little extra watering (once/twice a week) and a particularly sunny windowsill, but you have the added benefit of an endless supply of seasoning for your home-cooked dishes.

Pepper plant

As well as the common herbs it is also easy enough to grow certain vegetables indoors. The chilli pepper plant is a great starter for the amateur. Fill your plant pot with compost that contains good drainage and plant your pepper seeds. All they require is direct sunlight and regular watering throughout the season.

Plants can be bought in most supermarkets and garden centres. Whether you choose to buy seeds or fully-formed plants, it’s an inexpensive and rewarding hobby that only takes up as much time as you let it, so get your watering can out and go find your green fingers.

Helen is currently at Newcastle University studying for a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. As well as writing for Her Campus she regularly composes pieces in the lifestyle and beauty section of the University newspaper The Courier. In addition to being a stationery addict, dog enthusiast and Netflix binge-watcher, Helen is also an aspiring teacher and novelist. She also maintains a personal blog at helensheadset.wordpress.com featuring blogs on tourism, literature, lifestyle and more.