Style

Bathleisure: Do it for the gram!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

From the makers of the duck-lipped, upside down, thigh gapped, Snapchat filtered, basically nude selfie, 2018 brings you…the bath leisure selfie! The weird new trend, that seems like every other outrageous trend, to be sweeping Instagram. This spreading trend is quick, easy and simply perfect for everyone, an exciting new look from the contents of your house.

All you need is a towel or a bathrobe, wrapped oh-so-effortlessly around your head, showing your followers that easy laid back, I’ve-just-washed-my-hair look. However, don’t go all out and make it too authentic – we don’t want them to think that you really woke-up-like-this. You’re not Beyoncé, so you need flawlessly painted skin made up of subtle makeup, to go for that natural beauty look. Clean and glowing skin is aptly helped by the fabulous lighting usually found in front of the bathroom mirror, helping to add to the gram-worthy status of your look.

But of course, if you don’t want to take our word for it, look to the queens of fashion, who in the words of Diddy ‘broke out of just being a trend and became the culture’. (Unapologetically stole that line from one of his Instagram captions…it’s conveniently very fitting). Celebrities are always in the know in the fashion industry and they were steaming ahead, showcasing this wacky style last year! Strikingly, for the 2017 MTV EMA’s, Rita Ora confidently stepped out in both a bathrobe and a towel. As the wind from the airheads on the red carpet blew, she accidentally gave us a saucy flash of her underwear. A candid moment if we ever saw one. The star was draped in diamonds, teaming the look with a pair of jewelled Jimmy Choo stilettos and Lorraine Schwartz diamond jewellery. She commented; ‘I just wanted to show people you could be yourself, and I guess a robe and a towel on my head is me being myself’. The star added that ‘there was a subconscious message’ as she wanted to realise ‘her truest self’.

In the same fashion, Rihanna posed elegantly for Vogue Paris, wearing a patterned Emilio Pucci towel, from the spring collection, on her head. The statement piece had us all watching our French as it revealed a laid back but classy look, showing that even ‘badgalriri’ looks flawlessly good as she washes her hair. Towel check, bathrobe check, subtle makeup check, good lighting check. Who would have known the cheap towel stuffed in the back of your old bathroom cabinet could be the newest and truest form of an on-trend hair accessory?

Simone Kelly

Newcastle '19

I'm an aspiring marketer and have recently completed BA English Literature at Newcastle University. I am an avid creative and enjoy writing poetry, blogging and attending spoken word events. The written word is a way of story-telling and communicating complex ideas in an aesthetic manner. I hope you enjoy my articles. Please check out my up and coming blog page: etherealtruth.com