This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Newcastle chapter.

I love autumn. The leaves begin to change colour and fall to the ground, the air becomes crisp and it means it is officially time to pull out your comfiest jumpers and scarves. Best of all when you walk outside you can almost feel Halloween and Bonfire Night.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy summer, but there is something more relaxed and comfortable about this time of year. As we immerse ourselves deeper into Autumn I have gathered a list of five steps you can take to get you into the spirit of the season.

Go Explore the Outdoors: Everything is becoming more picturesque as the season turns, it reminds us that change often can be beautiful. Once a boring track becomes concealed by crunchy leaves and the crisp air becomes extra refreshing. Nature is everywhere in Newcastle with Jesmond Dene and Exhibition park being perfect places to escape for a relaxing walk.

Enjoy a Hot Drink: This season marks the return of the loved pumpkin spice lattes; it is hard to find a better way to truly feel the warmth of Autumn than your first sip of your pumpkin Starbucks. One downside of the season is the darker mornings that make your bed feel extra comfortable, but this means that a hot cup of coffee in the morning can make you feel even more autumnal and warm. Not everyone enjoys coffee though, and I have to admit I have an unwritten rule that no caffeine can be consumed after 7 pm, which means hot chocolates are the perfect alternative. With marshmallows and whipped cream, and even extra flavourings like salted caramel,  it can be even more autumnal to snuggle up on the sofa with a hot chocolate and put on your favourite film. 

Light a Candle: The mixture between the soothing orange flicker and the resulting scent that fills your room can be the perfect trick to help you properly celebrate Autumn. With smells ranging from cinnamon to log fires flooding the market, it is hard to walk through any store without seeing the promotion on seasonal candles. A personal favourite this time of year is the wooden wick candle that creates the sound of a crackling fire, I use it as the only source of light in a room to create a truly cosy atmosphere. 

Celebrate Halloween: At university, it is easy to only associate Halloween with drinking, house parties and horror nights but this year don’t overlook the simple things that can really help you take advantage of the spooky holiday. Why not watch Hocus Pocus (the best Halloween film ever) or grab yourself a pumpkin and a cheap carving kit, find an autumn-themed playlist and get creative with your designs. Not only will the process help you feel like a kid again but the new decoration in your student home is guaranteed to make you smile every time you see it. 

Settle Down in front of the TV: Another perk of the season is the return of great television, gone are the days of struggling to find anything to watch. Instead, its time to fill your evenings with an abundance of new and returning shows. Saturday nights in are no longer off-putting with classic entertainment shows such as X-Factor and Strictly there to fill an alcohol-infused void. There is something for everyone now, whether its classic British dramas such as Liar and Our Girl, light-hearted fun like Great British Bake Off or gritty crime dramas airing on ITV’s crime and punishment season. Take a break from assignment stress and enjoy everything your TV has to offer. 

Laura Bolden is a student at Newcastle University where she is studying Journalism and Media. She is a self proclaimed TV addict and is never too far away from the television set. An aspiring journalist who loves writing about all aspects of life and believe in female empowerment through the media. You can follow her on Twitter @lauraboldenX and Instagram @laurabolden.