samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Women’s Intuition is a Real Thing – Because Science

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

In the ‘90s, John Gray wrote if men are from Mars then women must be from Venus. According to a recent study, Gray was on to something. Researchers have found some truth in the playground nursery rhyme we used to chant at school.  

The study, which was published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, suggests that women’s brains are more active when compared to our male counterparts.

Scientists at Amen Clinics used single photo emission computed tomography (SPECT) imaging studies to monitor blood flow and activity patterns in the brain. More than 25,000 men and women, including those with a variety of psychiatric conditions, such as bipolar disorders, brain trauma, and mood disorders. Throughout the study, 128 brain regions were analyzed when the participants were at rest and again while they worked on a 15-minute concentration task.

“I thought there would be differences, but I had no idea they’d be this significant,” lead author and founder of Amen Clinics, Daniel Amen said.

The study also found that women had more blood flow in the limbic area, which involves mood, depression, and anxiety. The memory center (hippocampus) was also more active.

“If I make my wife mad, she doesn’t forget it,” Amen joked.

In addition, the findings suggest that “the female brain is wired for leadership.” This is due to increased activity in the insular cortex – i.e. the reason men claim women think too much about what other people think.

According to UCLA chair and interim dean, Norma Feshbach, crediting the brain alone for an individual’s level of empathy and intuitiveness is unrealistic.

“The role of the environment and learning may be more significant,” Feshbach said. “Huge differences in socialization” between women and men also play a significant role in a person’s ability to be empathetic, Boston-based psychologist Aline Zoldbrod added.

[Feature Image by Pexels] 

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.