Top 5 Apps Every New School Student Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Whether you just arrived to the big apple a few weeks ago or if the hustle and bustle comes second nature to you, New York City can get overwhelming at times. From exploring the city and making the most of all that it offers to finding (and keeping) a job all while staying up to date on all your class readings and assignments, the struggle is real and we get it! That’s why we’ve come up with a list of five apps that can help you navigate through the concrete jungle and hopefully make life a little easier.

5. The New School App

Coming in at fifth place is none other than The New School mobile app. While The New School mobile app may come as a given to some of you, you’d be surprised how many students fail to make the most out of it.

The New School mobile app offers a variety of convenient features. Just sign in using your student ID and password and you’ll be directed to information pertaining to Academics (grades and class schedules), New School news and events, Campus Resources (directory, campus map) and much more. Just give it a few days and you’ll find yourself resorting to The New School mobile app way more than you know it (I also recommend downloading Canvas to look through class discussions and to check the syllabus)!

4. Downtown NYC

This app is for the social animal living inside of each and every one of us. While we wish we could go to all the poppin’ parties and city attractions, those admission tickets can definitely add up. Living on a student budget is already hard enough without a NYC social life (can I get an amen from my fellow Ramen eaters). BUT have no fear because Downtown NYC is here to save the day! Be it Wednesday afternoon or Saturday night, Downtown NYC offers discounts to city events, attractions and even dining to ensure you have a good time in the city without breaking the bank.

3. ITourMobile

Admit it, tour busses are amazing. Depending on the tour you’re on, they tell you everything you need to know while giving you a joy ride around town. But the point of living in the city is that you don’t want to be a tourist. You want to discover it on your own, right? In comes ITourMobile. This app sends you on solo scavenger hunts throughout the city, letting you explore it at your own pace without looking like an outsider (that is, assuming you don’t wear your I heart NY shirt out). ITourMobile will take you places you never thought existed and show you landmarks hidden right before your eyes. For all you adventure seekers, this one’s for you!

2. Seamless

Chances are, you’ve heard of this amazing food app. But if you haven’t, well, prepared to be mind-blown. Seamless is the ultimate go-to app for those days where you just don’t feel like making a meal. Using GPS, Seamless searches its directory of nearby restaurants and gives you a list of all the places willing to deliver delicious food right to your front steps. Yes, most places have a minimum order, but you’ll find that your meal and drink usually covers it (if not, take that as an excuse to order dessert). The downside? Deliveries can take up to an hour, so make sure to plan in advance and order before your stomach growls.

1. Citymapper

We couldn’t think of a better app to hold the number One slot. Citymapper is hands-down the best transit app to have on your phone! Just input your destination and let Citymapper do the rest. Not only does it calculate different modes of transportation (bus, train, car, walking, etc.), but it also offers up to date information on delays and disruption alerts. And once you get to your destination, you can save it in your list of places for the next time you want to return. Best part? Citymapper lets you send your location to friends right from the app to let them know exactly where you are and how long you need to arrive. 

Rama Majzoub

New School

Rama is Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at The New School. She is on track to graduate with a master's in psychology in spring of 2018.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com