This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Sometimes the only thing you like to do when you are feeling down is staying home, wrapping yourself in blankets, grabbing your favorite snacks, and being alone. I have found that watching certain TV shows bring great comfort during these times and can turn your not-so-awesome night into pleasant alone time. So after you have turned down plans because you’re just not in the mood, you’ll start browsing for something to keep you entertained. Here are my top TV picks that will for sure lift your mood and even get you to laugh.

1. The Mindy Project. Oh my, if you have not watched this show, you must. Mindy, the main character, is the representation of that silly, carefree woman that lives within all of us. Her character is practically unfiltered, she loves strongly, she is opinionated, and she takes the world before her. Because of this, the show has a touch of genuineness, even if it’s silly at most times. It is inspiring in the sense that it reminds you to take each moment as if it were the last and enjoy the everyday. Also, to just be yourself for once and see how satisfying that can be. (We all need to be reminded of that.) At least for me, watching this show helps me ground and take pleasure, maybe even a laugh, at the simplicity of life. You can watch it on Hulu. 

2. The Office. I know, this show may be seen as controversial, but if you take a humorous psychological perspective towards it, it’s hilarious. A little like The Mindy Project, each character in The Office represents a voice or personality that is found within all of us. Each one is that side of us that we have been taught to keep in the shadow (or get rid of completely, in which some cases is beneficial). The show takes place in an office in the suburbs of Pennsylvania and your typical middle working class is shown in an everyday setting. From different daily situations and conflicts to office romance, and dealing with ignorant people, The Office is highly relatable, which makes it funny. Literally, “it’s funny because it’s true.” After a few episodes, you won’t be able to push pause. You can watch it on Netflix.

3. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Okay, just read me out here. If you enjoyed The Office, this show takes that feeling to another level. At first I clearly could tell it was a show for a specific audience, maybe even a different type of humor. But why is that a mood lifter? Because it’s so cringy that you feel amazing about yourself. That’s the truth. Laughing is inevitable. Larry David, the main character, manages to mess up every situation he gets himself in, but not in a purposely funny way. He has good intentions (most of the time), but is so socially challenged that nothing ever turns out the way it’s supposed to. Each episode is a day in the life of Larry David, and each day results in social disaster, which will make you crack up because while those days have happened once or twice in our lives, in Curb Your Enthusiasm they happen every day. You can watch it on Amazon Prime Video.

I watch these shows over and over again because they just make me laugh so much each time and I’m sure they’ll make you smile as well, enjoy!

Hi there! I'm a writer, originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I do some digital illustration and graphic design as well. I'm a junior student in Journalism and Design at The New School. Some of my interests include psychology, spirituality, and music. Just may be an ancient soul. I like to read, watch movies, do yoga and have a glass of wine in my free time.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com