This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Music wouldn’t be where it is today without rock and roll sorceress Stevie Nicks. Nicks rose to stardom and turned the music industry on its head in 1975 when she joined Fleetwood Mac as a lead singer and songwriter. She is credited with writing and performing hits like “Dreams”, “Landslide”, “Rhiannon” and “Edge of Seventeen” (to name a very few). Her aura itself is unmistakable – a celestial charisma further emphasized by flowing black dresses, glimmering shawls, and of course, her trademark moon necklace.

Nicks began gifting her golden moon necklaces in 1977, and they remain a coveted rite of passage in the music industry today. Stars like Harry Styles, Taylor Swift and HAIM are among the handful to receive a necklace, as well as Nicks’ inner circle of friends – affectionately known as her “Sisters of the Moon.” According to LA Times, the moons are seen as lucky charms, intended to be passed along to others in need. Nicks has also given moons to soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Make-a-Wish recipients.

Nicks’ friends can attest to the moon’s properties. “That moon necklace holds a lot of power,” says Alana Haim in an interview for Huffington Post, “Ever since I put it on, every person I’ve met has been like ‘Where’d you get that necklace?’ People are drawn to the moon. I can’t express it.” 

The moons are also reflective of Nicks’ continued influence in the music industry. Her input remains an invaluable asset to modern-day stars; she was among the first to listen to Harry Styles’ sophomore album Fine Line before its release. Styles and Nicks’ friendship is well documented, with Styles inducting her into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for her work as a solo artist in 2019. “She’s more than a role model – she’s a beacon to all of us,” said Styles of Nicks in his speech. On the same day, the two performed an iconic duet of “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” (please watch it…I’m begging).

In addition, Taylor Swift performed “Rhiannon” and “You Belong With Me” with Nicks at the 2010 Grammy Awards. Nicks’ stage presence is ageless – she sings to the crowd with the same fire that propelled her back in the ‘70s. “There’s really such a thin veil between the everyday Stevie and the Stevie on the stage,” says Nicks’ close friend Vanessa Carlton, “That is a testament to her really knowing who she is as a woman.” Anyone who’s watched her perform can attest to Nicks’ magnetic personality. This magnetism echoes through her voice, lyrics and movement, drawing fans from near and far like a moth to a flame. 

Forty-five years after its release, the album Rumors maintains its popularity on apps like TikTok, its impact spanning generations. Replica moon necklaces are available on Etsy and are popular among teenagers who wish to be one with the coven; the timelessness of Nicks’ art and persona is evident. It’s no wonder she acts as a mentor to so many new faces in music, as well as an inspiration for young people across the globe. 

Luckily, Nicks is happy to share her wisdom – despite not having children of her own, she finds joy in nurturing a new generation of artists. “They know they can call me,” says Nicks in an interview for Huffington Post, “I’m never far away…I like to say a fairy godmother as opposed to a mom because I don’t become their moms. They have moms. They don’t need another mom, but maybe they need a fairy godmother.”

In each necklace, Nicks bestows some of her magic upon the wearer – a bit of gold dust, if you will. “They deserve to have a moon,” says Nicks, “They deserve to have that inspiration and that little tip of my top hat to them to say I believe in you and I think that you’re amazing. So I’m telling you right now, you can have it all if you want it.”

Grace Coleman

New School '25

Grace Coleman is a second-year student at The New School majoring in Journalism & Design. She loves lavender lattes, vintage jeans and wandering around the Met. Find her on Instagram @gracee.coleman.