This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

As college students, sometimes it’s hard to keep up with taking care of ourselves! It’s easy to get overwhelmed by schoolwork, our social lives, and even jobs and forget about meeting our body’s needs. This is where supplements can come into play, so we can live our lives and supplement the rest! Here’s an (as complete as possible) A-Z guide of supplements that can support your college journey.

Please consult a doctor in the case of some of these supplements or if you’re worried about any cross interactions of medications. No supplements are proven to cure/treat any illness or disease.

A – Amino Acids

Amino acids are great for our body’s functions – and there are so many to choose from depending on what you’re looking for! Check out L-Theanine for some rest and relaxation, L-Tyrosine for some brain support, L-Leucine to support your body’s muscle gain process, or a complete amino acid blend to take in as many as you can to support your body as a whole.

B – B Vitamins

There are tons of different B Vitamins to pick – with B12 being thought of a lot! B12 is great for a good energy boost, and also if you follow a plant-based diet. However, a B-Complex can help with stress levels, and I always turn to my B-Complexes when I start getting overwhelmed with tests, midterms, or finals coming up!

C – Vitamin C

Vitamin C is not only an immunity boost – which we definitely need! – but it’s also a great support for your skin’s health! Vitamin C is a key ingredient in collagen production, and it serves to both give your immune system a jump start and also help your skin out!

D – Vitamin D

Vitamin D is essential to our bodies! It’s good for our joints, bones, calcium absorption, and more! Being deficient in Vitamin D can even affect your mood or energy levels. If you’re not able to get enough time out in the sun, make sure to substitute with Vitamin D to get your daily intake!

E – Elderberry

Elderberry is one of the most well-known immune supplements – and for good reason too! Elderberry comes in many convenient forms, such as teas, lozenges, pills, and gummies! The gummies especially are a yummy but beneficial way to keep on top of your immune health, especially as we approach flu season!

F – Fish Oil

Fish Oil is one of the supplements that most people will take when they start looking for additional nutrients or generally good supplements to take! Fish Oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids – which are super important for brain and eye health! They can fight inflammation as well. Many vegans are concerned about a potential lack of Omegas from their diets. Look at algae-based supplements for good vegan sources of Omegas!

G – GABA

GABA is made in the brain, and is also found in some select foods! GABA is generally used as a relaxer – promoting stress and anxiety relief. We all could use some of that, especially once exams come around!

H – 5HTP

A lot of us have problems with sleep – myself included! Melatonin is often what we think of to take, but by taking melatonin you teach your body that it doesn’t need to produce it. 5HTP is the precursor to serotonin, which is the precursor to melatonin, and can help regulate your body’s melatonin production without teaching your body to be dependent!

I – Iron

Iron supplements are one of the easiest ways to increase your iron intake! Especially for those who have an iron deficiency, iron is super important for many of the body’s functions. Iron is important for oxygen circulation, and general blood health as well. Iron plays an important role in many different chemical functions within our bodies!

K – Vitamin K

Vitamin K is similar to Vitamin D in the sense it helps out our bones! Vitamin K also plays a role in blood clotting. Taking Vitamin K and Vitamin D together is a great option, as Vitamin K helps the Vitamin D be absorbed into your body! You’ll often see them paired together and for good reason!

L – Lemon Balm

Feeling stressed? You’re not alone! Lemon Balm is a great stress and anxiety support, dating back hundreds of years for usage. Lemon Balm can also help promote healthy sleep and assist in any pains you might have from indigestion. 

M – Multivitamin

Knock out all your daily nutrient needs with an all-in-one multivitamin! This is a great way to make sure you’re getting the supplements or nutrients your body might be lacking without taking a bunch of pills all at once! Make sure to take this with food otherwise you might get sick depending on what’s in your multi!

N – Niacinamide

I’m sure a few of us at least have heard of niacinamide in the skincare world – especially from brands like The Ordinary. But did you know that it can also be used to assist with skin health from the inside? Niacinamide is a great support for acne-prone skin in relieving acne in general, and can even help support rosacea alleviation!

O – Oregano

With sickness becoming supper common, you can never have too many immune supports to keep in mind! Oregano is a great support for fighting respiratory issues – think coughs especially! Oregano can also help with stomach problems, such as bloating!

P – Probiotics

Did you know that the gut controls more than just our general stomach health? It can have a role in our mental health, general health, and of course, gut health! Taking probiotics supplies good bacteria to our gut and improves our entire well-being! Whether it be through a probiotic supplement or probiotic-rich foods like fermented foods, kombucha, etc. probiotics are a great idea!

Q – Quercetin

Quercetin is a powerful plant flavonoid that has many uses! Immune boosting, and in some cases, it can even support allergy health as well! It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that can even help with heart health as well.

R – Rhodiola

Super super stressed? Look into Rhodiola! Rhodiola is a powerful adaptogen that when taken, helps the body “adapt” to stress! Help manage your stress, mental health, and anxiety with this useful herb. Rhodiola has been used for centuries for its mental health-boosting properties!

S – Senna

If you’re struggling with constipation, senna is a great natural option! Senna is a natural laxative that encourages healthy bowel movement in the body. Senna is more so used as a quick cleanse, but to those who struggle with constipation – you might find relief with senna!

T – Turmeric

Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory to anyone that might have general pain! Curcumin (the most active ingredient found in turmeric) has tons of benefits as well. It can help fight off free radicals (think environmental pollutants that can mess with your body) and in some cases can even be beneficial towards skin! Turmeric in general is a great supplement to turn to for a variety of reasons, most commonly for its anti-inflammatory properties or general pain relief!

U  – Uva Ursi

We’ve definitely heard about cranberry anything being good for UTIs, but Uva Ursi is a lesser-known UTI fighter! Uva Ursi can help in the prevention of recurrent UTIs, and it’s an effective support to those who struggle with regular or even a once in a while UTI!

V – Valerian

Again, if you’re looking for a good sleep support supplement without taking melatonin, Valerian is a great option! Valerian is often used most commonly for those with insomnia, or just general sleep disorders. Taking some before bed can help support a healthy sleep cycle, and can encourage some solid sleep!

Y – Yarrow

Once again, you can never have too many immune supplement options! Yarrow is often used for a variety of reasons – most notably for fever and the common cold! It’s a great option to keep on hand once you feel yourself getting sick.

Z – Zinc

Zinc is great for your immune system and one of the first supplements people turn to while sick – or a blend with Vitamins C and D! But zinc is also great for acne-prone skin – skincare can go beyond a topical level! Make sure to take zinc with food – or else it’ll make you sick!

Happy supplementing!

Samera Shim

New School '24