A Step-by-Step Guide to Feeling Unqualified

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

We’ve all felt unqualified before. On the off chance you’re the one magical person who has never ever felt unqualified or out of their depths, feel free to reach out and share your secrets. For the rest of us though, feeling unqualified is inevitable. Whether it’s a new job, difficult class, or starting college, feeling unqualified is natural. So here’s a short guide for the next time you’re worried about falling short.

1. Confront these feelings and worries

It’s easy to get swallowed whole by feeling unqualified, but try and take a step back to see where these feelings are coming from. Are you just feeling nervous about new responsibilities? Or maybe there’s an actual area of work you know you’re unprepared for. Narrow the vague all-consuming feeling down to its root cause, and from there it’s easier to create some ways to combat feeling unqualified. 

2. Give yourself concrete steps to take

This might sound kind of silly or too simple, but a short list can go a long way. If you’re worried about lacking in some essential knowledge or experience, it helps to have a list of key information to look up in advance. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by nerves, write down a list of ways to calm yourself. This way, you won’t just get lost and consumed by your worries. You’ll have real steps and helpful information all in one place to help you navigate your way out of them. Think of this list as a security blanket, it’s something to remind you that everything will be ok – you are qualified.

3. Support yourself, but know it’s okay to reach out

Remember, you were hired, accepted, or given this responsibility for a reason. You’ve gotten yourself this far, and you can take yourself further. So when you’re feeling confused or unsure, try to push yourself to find a solution. At the same time, know your limits and keep in mind that it’s okay to reach out for help. Your peers have run into the same problems and challenges; don’t be afraid to ask around for advice. Also, make use of all the resources around you. Whether it’s a professor’s office hours or some kind of training session, make use of it. 

4. Make the best of your “unqualified” perspective

Being unqualified isn’t fun, but it has some perks. The best part of being unqualified or new to something is that you have a fresh perspective. You have yet to become complacent or unquestioning to the conventional methods at a work place or school. So while it’s important to find your place within this new environment, feel free to put in your own voice. If you see something that you believe can be improved upon, go ahead and propose your idea. Being “unqualified” does not always render your opinion as invalid; sometimes it just means it’s a little more unconventional.

Sometimes though, no matter how prepared you are or what steps you take, these feelings of being unqualified stick around. These worries can just take a while to fade, so give it some time. As much as these feelings suck in the moment, they mean you’re challenging yourself, so don’t be afraid to go towards them. One last thing to remember, it might be cheesy but we all need to hear it sometimes: you’ve got this!

[Feature Image by Unsplash]

Isabelle Fang

New School '21

Isabelle is a Literary Studies major at the Eugene Lang School of Liberal Arts at The New School. Originally from Toronto, she's still working on using the imperial system and reading weather forecasts in Fahrenheit. Isabelle mostly writes about pop culture, Asian American representation, and profiles on all kinds of people.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com