This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

With the autumn season among us, it’s time we step up our shoe game. Time to bid your goodbyes to the sandals and Birkenstocks that dominated the summertime and transition into more appropriate fall footwear. And if you’re unclear as to what some of the options out there are, fear not – I have rounded up what I believe to be some of this fall’s most popular shoe trends so you don’t have to. 

@xolinsey via Instagram

A trend that was once beloved by the early 2000s It Girls, Uggs have reached cult status once again. They may have gone out of style as early as 2010, but social media has proven that they’ve made their comeback. Whether you purchase the boots or opt for the newer slipper style, Uggs are sure to keep you cozy as the temperature continues to drop.

@kristincabat via Instagram

These boots are definitely made for walking. Over-the-knee boots are a must-have, especially when you live in New York City. They’re not only effortlessly stylish, but they’re also timeless, a trend that the most fashionable have in their rotation almost every season. You can opt for a lower heel like the one in the image above, or go for another trending style: platforms.

@nobootybui via Instagram

Platforms cater to those who want to make a statement. They may not be as practical as ankle boots or flats, but they have the power to spice up any outfit. Walking around NYC, I’ve found that I can’t go a day without spotting at least three people in some style of platform shoes. The best part is you aren’t just limited to boots either, with heels, loafers, and even sneakers incorporating this style.

@thealondraflores via Instagram

Now if platforms aren’t really your thing, loafers are a great alternative. They’re easy to slip on, comfortable to walk in and they can dress up any outfit. I currently have a black pair of loafers from Princess Polly, and I’m definitely guilty of wearing them every day, no matter the weather!

@sparklesandpeonies via Instagram

Last but not least on this list are ballet flats. Ever since luxury brand Miu Miu dressed their models in their iconic flats and leg warmers at their Autumn/Winter 2022 showing, the shoes have been all the rage in the fashion scene. And with “balletcore” rising to popularity not too long ago, these flats are sure to dominate many wardrobe rotations this fall. 

Kea Humilde

New School '26

Kea Humilde is a New School first year intending to major in Journalism+Design and minor in Fashion Communications. When she's not busy shopping in the city and creating content, she's rooting for the Los Angeles Chargers.