Style > Beauty

Should You Visit the New Glossier Soho Store?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

If you use TikTok with any regularity, chances are you’ve seen at least a few posts talking about a Glossier product. Between their partnership with singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo and the rebranding of their products, Glossier has seen a major resurgence in popularity. Now for the first time in the company’s history, Glossier is available at a consumer store: Sephora. While this retail deal is exciting for the brand, it also means that you no longer have to find a Glossier store to try their products on in person. This made me wonder, is it worth it to go to a Glossier store or is Sephora a sufficient replacement? I went to the new Glossier location in Soho to determine this.

The Looks

Upon walking through the pink-wrapped doors, your eyes will be met with a sea of millennial pink, soft beiges, and pops of red accents. Glossier pulled out all the stops to make this store one of the most visually appealing shopping experiences in the area. 

Maybe the most artful aspect of this store is the designated photo-op area. Designed to mimic a city subway station, this is the most aesthetic (and clean) subway you’ll ever come across in NYC. Their tagline “You Look Good” is mosaiced onto the back wall which you access after walking through the pearly white tiled station. I would go back just to sit on that bench again. 

The Testers

On the central tables in the main room, every beauty, skincare, and hygiene product was laid out, complete with tissues, alcohol spray for disinfection and applicators to make the testing process as easy as possible. When I first arrived, the store was crowded and almost every spot at this table was occupied. Luckily, Glossier accounted for this possibility and placed additional tables with the same line-up in the rooms adjacent to the main table, meaning there were plenty of testers for everyone there. The lighting was bright and clear, and there were many mirrors stationed all around the store so you could properly review the products. 

Another cool feature? Glossier designated a room for their wet products that had a bright red sink so you could test their soaps, washes and other body products at your leisure.  

The Products

Glossier now offers a wide selection of products. Both in-store and online, you can find skincare, hygiene, makeup and branded clothing products. I spent over thirty minutes going product to product and I wasn’t the only one. Be prepared to want to try every shade of their lip, skin and eye products—I left with my clothes smelling like their perfume (Glossier You) and the top of my hand stained from all the swatching I did. 

While you are able to try these products at Sephora, I did see something that you can’t find anywhere else: their New York City hoodie. Not only was it the most heavenly shade of lavender, but it’s also only available at this store (and the Brooklyn location) making it an exclusive purchase. 

The Jumpsuits 

Maybe it’s just me, but I would buy the jumpsuit uniform worn by Glossier employees. They’re light pastel purple (are you sensing a color theme?) and as uniforms go, they looked both comfortable and practical. Also, by having the employees all dressed similarly in these outfits, it was easy to pick one of them out of the crowd to ask for help. They stand scattered around the floor waiting to help you with any questions relating to the products, as well as check out when you’re ready. 

The Purchase

Unlike most traditional stores that have all their available products on the floor, Glossier has no formal check-out counter. Instead, you make your purchase through a free-standing employee and wait in a different room for your purchase to be prepared. One pro to this system? You don’t have to stand in line. My order only took a few minutes to arrive and was given to me in their trademark pink bag with my name Sharpied on the back.

So… is it worth the trip?

Honestly, it depends on your needs and time. If you need to restock one of your favorite Glossier products, swing by Sephora and skip the hubbub. But, if you are hoping to test a product in person, want a helpful employee to help you out or just looking for something to do on your day off, I would recommend stopping by a Glossier store.  

The store I visited: 72 Spring St New York, NY 

Hours: Monday-Saturday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
            Sunday: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Nora Vogt

New School '26

Nora is a first-year student at the New School. Her major is currently undecided, but she enjoys literary studies and creative writing. She loves the Foo Fighters, her dog Maggie, and reading.