nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ryan O’Neil is Our Hero: New Music Video “Sunday Morning” Empowers Women Everywhere to Walk With Pride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Feminism is alive and well, my friends. On Sept. 30, Indie singer/songwriter Ryan O’Neil premiered his new music video “Sunday Morning” in Brooklyn.

The song delves into what it’s like for a woman to walk home in the morning after she’s had a night out, ultimately normalizing the “walk of shame” into something we should all consider calling the “stride of pride.”

After hearing “Sunday Morning” I had to snag an interview with the man who is leading America one step closer to accepting the fact that women are people too.

HC: Tell me a little bit about “Sunday Morning” and the creative process that went into producing this song.

Ryan: “I wrote the song on my own as an observation of modern dating practices. I wanted to write about the “walk of shame/stride of pride” phenomenon. However, I didn’t want it to be a song shaming women, so as I was writing I realized that I was harping on the appearance of the woman. I tried to rectify that with the bridge and final line; basically saying it’s not just women who are guilty of it. We all play the game.”

HC: Tell me a little bit about your struggles of playing music without being able to use your right hand.

Ryan: “I assume my struggle with learning the guitar is similar to almost every other person who has picked up the instrument. It was seemingly impossible in the beginning, I didn’t practice as much as I should (I still don’t) it hurt, I didn’t sound like my heroes, etc. Regarding my lack of a right hand, I was born without it, so I don’t know any different. Everything I’ve ever had to do, I needed to do with five fingers. I guess fingerpicking does pose a specific problem for me that other guitarists don’t face. And while it definitely sucks that my 16-year-old guitar student (who I’ve taught for five years) can play certain fingerpicking songs that I can’t, I don’t let it get to me because that’s just how it is. I usually find my own unique way around issues that spring up because of my hand.”

HC: What is your favorite part of having a career in the music industry?

Ryan: “Being a musician is so tough, in so many ways. But, it’s really an honor and a pleasure to play music and have people take meaning from it. Also, being a rock star is so many little kids’ dreams. I’m actually pursuing a dream so many people give up on.”

HC: Tell me about any collaborations you’ve been working on.

Ryan: “My main collaborator back in the day was a cat named 100dBs. My best friend, The Beege, is a constant and consistent collaborator. Benjamin Bartel, the director of the Sunday Morning video, and I will be collaborating in the future on more music videos in addition to some short films. That I’m really looking forward to.”

HC: How did you become involved in music?

Ryan: “I’ve always been a fan of music but going to a performing arts high school [LaGuardia High School] really throws you head first into music. I only auditioned for a spot at LaGuardia because my mother pushed me to. I had no aspirations of musicianship before that.”

For more information on Ryan and his music, check out ryanoneilmusic.com.

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.