Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Ideas to Ensure Quality Time in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Long-distance is hard! But it definitely isn’t impossible. One of the hardest parts for me is the lack of quality time. Over the past year of long-distance, I’ve discovered some ways to have date nights, quality time with your partner, and how to still feel connected and close no matter how many miles are in between you.

Video Games

This is one of my favorite ways to spend quality time with my boyfriend. He’s big into video games, and we’ve found some specifically meant for two players – check out It Takes Two, Overcooked, and A Way Out. Playing games together while you FaceTime or call makes you almost feel like you’re in the same room…and especially with Overcooked I was so invested in trying to play it right time just flew by. It helped our teamwork a ton, and (luckily) there was no frustration even when one of us did mess up. Besides two-player games, there are lots of online multiplayer games to check out together with many being free!

Dinner…Together?

There are a couple of ways to approach this: you can either schedule a time and cook together over FaceTime and eat together, or more excitingly you can do a mystery dinner together. Each of you Doordash a meal to the other person’s house, and you get to be surprised with a meal and time with your partner! It’s a nice way for them to show their love for you, and to add the element of surprise into the relationship. Give them a call once your meals arrive, and enjoy dinner together.

Movie Night!

There are so many ways to watch movies together – whether it’s Netflix party, streaming, pressing play at the same time, and many more. Plan a movie night in with your partner, and sync up snacks and cozy blankets to feel like you’re right there with them. Additionally, go to the movie theatre at the same time and watch a new film! You can debrief it afterward and have a whole new topic to discuss.

Date Nights

There are a ton of long-distance dating services to help you plan your ideal date night! Dovey is super popular on TikTok right now, and they have pre-planned virtual dates for you and your partner to go on. There are different options for you to choose from whether it’s Truth or Dare in Fiji to an Aquarium date. And if you time it right, they even have seasonal dates for you and your partner to share.

Get Outdoors!

If the weather permits, take your partner on a walk outside or go enjoy some time in the great outdoors together! Whether that be a balcony, a park, or even just a stroll around the block, getting outside while being connected with your partner makes a difference. Knowing that even if you’re far away, the same sun is touching your skin and the same air is going in your lungs makes a difference. Step it up a level with a picnic, and pack your favorite snacks as you have some quality time together.

Overall, do what feels right for you and your partner, because in long-distance you just have each other! That virtual communication is what gets us through to the next time, and it’s fun to switch things up and plan out a little event to make it almost feel physical again. Go give your partner a big word hug, and find the right time for a little “us” time. 

Samera Shim

New School '24