Wellness > Health

How Many of my Instagram Followers Have Been Vaccinated for COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Good morning! 

In case you needed to be reminded, we have been in a pandemic for over a year now. 

It makes sense that many have grown tired of attending school and work through the confines of their computer screen. Puzzles and Netflix can only distract one for so long.  

Since the public release of COVID-19 vaccines, people have been scrambling to find vaccination options near them. Some vaccination lines have even reached into the hundreds

Vaccine variations available in the U.S. include the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, and the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine

Many people, including myself, are curious to see how many individuals in their social group have been vaccinated.  

So, last Thursday, I conducted an Instagram poll to see how many of my followers have been lucky enough to get their hands on a vaccine. 

According to NPR50.5 million Americans have been vaccinated since the distribution of vaccination doses in December. That accounts for over 15% of the U.S. population. 

According to my poll, 70 out of 195, or 35.9% of participants have been vaccinated for COVID-19. Of those vaccinated, 9 more participants received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine compared to the Moderna vaccine. Only three voters received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. 

Overall, this data is somewhat reflective of the vaccination data conducted by Forbesas the Pfizer vaccine is administered in roughly double the amount more countries compared to the Moderna vaccine. 

All vaccine variants are proven to be effective in preventing symptomatic disease and the spread amongst vaccinated individuals. Side effects such a fever, body aches, and fatigue are possible. 

If you or someone you know is in search of a COVID-19 vaccine near you, visit Vaccine Finder!

Tara is a New York-based Journalist studying at The Eugene Lang College of The New School. She has a passion for unique storytelling and mental health advocacy. Aside from writing, she enjoys singing and spending time with animals. See more of Tara's work on taralamorgese.wixsite.com/website!
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com