An HC Exclusive Interview with Music Revived President Kayla Marie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Kayla Marie spends her days giving aspiring artists a voice. Thankfully, between giving star studded interviews and scouting the globe for her newest talent, Kayla gave HC at TNS the inside scoop on what it’s like to work as an entertainment consultant. 

HC: What is Music Revived?

Kayla:Music Revived is an entertainment industry site where aspiring artists can go to gain knowledge on the music business as well as have a chance to be showcased to major music companies.”

HC: Could you explain a little bit about what you do on a daily basis as the President of Music Revived?

Kayla: “Usually a day’s worth of work for me consists of emails, phone calls, and scouting talent. I’m always looking for new and upcoming artists to keep my eye on or lend a helping hand to by providing them with advice.”

HC: How can artists share their music with you for a chance to be featured on Music Revived?

Kayla: “Any and all artists can simply send over their music for consideration by filing out the contact form on the site’s about page. We get an abundance of submissions, but all music is listened to, and we always respond if the artist is going to be featured.”

HC: What exactly does an entertainment consultant do? How is this job description different from that of a marketing manager?

Kayla: “An entertainment consultant, in my opinion, is similar yet different than a marketing manager. Marketing managers usually come up with strategies and techniques to find different marketing approaches, in addition to promoting growth for whatever their project’s main focus is. An entertainment consultant is usually someone in the entertainment business like myself that artists can go to for advice or tips on what to do next in their career.”

HC: When did you discover that a career in the music industry was the career for you? Did you feel it was your calling or did an opportunity just come along at the right time?

Kayla: “When I was about 13, I started in the entertainment business writing for a teen blog; I interviewed a few stars for the blog. From that point on I felt as though it was my calling to be in the music business.”

HC: How would you describe your personal tastes in music?

Kayla: “My taste in music varies, I listen to all genres because there are so many talented artists in every category of music.”

HC: How do you choose the artists you work with? Is there a process you go through before deciding who makes the cut?

Kayla: “When choosing a new artist to work with there are a few things that come into play. Besides being a very talented singer, I look for someone that has a passion for music. I put my heart into every artist that I work with. I want to make sure that music is their passion and that they won’t stop until they achieve their dreams.”

(Pop artist Kylie Hughes)

HC: What is your favorite part of being an entertainment consultant?

Kayla: “My favorite part is watching an artist grow and helping aspiring talent achieve their goal or dream that they originally told me they had, whether that’s working in a studio, writing their first song, recording an album or just meeting with experienced people in the industry.”

HC: Do you consider yourself musically talented? Do you sing or play an instrument?

Kayla: “Singing unfortunately is not a talent of mine, but I did play the violin for about nine years. Playing the violin helped me to easily pick up playing piano, which I did for two years.”

HC: What’s next for you and your career? What are your goals?

Kayla: “The next step for me would be to continue on the journey I am on now in helping upcoming talent reach the stars.”

For more info., “like” Music Revived on Facebook

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.