Life > Experiences

A Guide to Mastering NYC’s Transportation Choices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Although most people around the world long to come to New York City, those of us who live here often need to leave to visit our friends and family who have not yet made it to the Big Apple. Folks who live in literally any other city in America (and possibly, the entire world) have pretty straightforward options when it comes to transporting themselves out of their homes, but we New Yorkers have a lot to think about. Is it worth taking the Amtrak if it means dealing with the MESS that is Penn Station? Is the $11 MTA North ticket actually worth it when I could take an hour long subway instead for 1/5th of the price? And of course, which airport should I deal with this time: Newark, LaGuardia, or JFK?

Airports: What to Know

If you live in Manhattan, LGA might seem like the easy choice due to its proximity to our borough, but think again. Taking New Jersey transit to Newark will actually save you money on both your cab ride and, likely, your airfare. I’ve consistently found cheaper deals out of the Newark airport, and can get there in about 25 minutes from Penn Station. Also, remember that you can book a roundtrip flight that leaves from one airport and arrives at a different one. If the price is right then don’t be afraid of this option, but again, beware of the transport cost once you arrive. If you live in the Bronx it might not be the best idea to book a flight out of JFK, unless you’re a very, very patient person.

Grand Central vs. Penn Station

Okay, this is an especially emotional point for me, because I cannot even begin to tell you all how many travel woes I have faced at Penn Station. Although I wholeheartedly support the high quality services provided by Amtrak, I highly suggest that you spend as little time at Penn Station as possible (until it gets renovated in about 5 years or so). Grand Central, on the other hand, is a hub of Metro-North lines, and is a lot more beautiful and relaxing than its neighbor on 34th street. I recommend coming here whenever possible, but  these two train hubs have totally different lines, so it’s pretty inevitable that you’ll visit both at some point.

Bus Hubs/Stations

It is my underlying belief that Megabus and Greyhound are some of New York’s most undervalued gems, both in quality and in price. I have taken both of these companies to cities like Philadelphia and Boston and been utterly impressed each time, especially for the cost of around $11 a ticket. You can reserve your seat online (I recommend doing this about two weeks in advance during peak seasons or weekends), and there are tons of departure times throughout the day to choose from.

[Feature Image by Unsplash]

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com