Career > Money

Free or Discounted Things You Should Be Utilizing as a New School Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Being a college student in New York City can be expensive. However, The New School has opened me to more opportunities and experiences we can access for free or at a discount! From museums to subscriptions, here are some things you should be utilizing as a New School student that I wish I had known sooner!

FRee new york times subscription

@newschoollibraries via Instagram

Did somebody say free?! As a Journalism+Design student, I was ecstatic to find out we can access a free subscription to The New York Times. Take advantage of this, a lot of course readings consist of Times articles and it’s always helpful to have a free subscription where you can access these documents without having to worry about a paywall.

free THE moma admission

@themueseumofmodernart via Instagram

How cool is it that we can access one of the best-known contemporary art museums for free?! The MoMA is a great place to visit all year round. New exhibitions and events are always happening. You’re bound to discover something new with every visit. New School students receive one free admission and can buy up to five $5 guest tickets per visit. To obtain free admission or discounted guest tickets, don’t forget to bring a valid New School ID card to the ticketing desk.

*Free admission also applies to MoMA PS1

free rubin museum of art admission

@rubinmuseum via Instagram

Just a ten-minute walk from the University Center is the Rubin Museum of Art. The Rubin Museum of Art has a collection from the Himalayas and surrounding regions. This is a great place to visit after a class or on a day off with friends. To obtain free admission, current full-time students must show their New School ID card at the lobby information desk.

Cultured magazine discount

@cultured_mag via Instagram

Read all about art, architecture, design, film, fashion and music in Culture Magazine! Students get 40% off along with a $36 one-year subscription with the promo code CULTURED101 at checkout.

moleskine discount

@moleskine via Instagram

Whether you’re buying a notebook for class or enjoyment, mine as well get a discount while you’re at it! Students with a valid New School ID are able to get a 10% discount at all Moleskine stores.

garden of eden marketplace discount

@gardenofeden_market_nyc via Instagram

Want to grab a quick snack, beverage, or sandwich between classes? Located right across from the University Center on 14th Street is Garden of Eden Marketplace. Garden of Eden Marketplace gives a 10% discount when you show your student ID at checkout.

Check out These Accounts for more freebies and discounts:

new school student life instagram

@newschoolstudentlife via Instagram

The SLI Instagram account is always posting about events and offers for discounted Broadway tickets, plays, performances, etc.

*If you don’t have Instagram you can also access this information at Narwhal Nation!

Explore nyc free instagram

@explorenycfree via Instagram

This is a great account that every New Yorker should be following. With consistent and up-to-date posts, this account makes it accessible and easy for anyone to have a fun day in NYC for free. Check it out!

campus clipper

Campus Clipper is a website that provides coupons and lists of places offering discounts to New York City college students!

Kayley Cassidy

New School '25

Kayley is a student at The New School in a Bachelor's-Master's Program majoring in Journalism+Design and pursuing a graduate study of Creative Publishing+Critical Journalism. She enjoys listening to podcasts, drinking coffee, and learning about art. In her spare time, you can find her at Sutton Place Park taking pictures of the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge and the East River. Check out her Substack newsletter: https://kaycass.substack.com/?r=5bpjp&utm_campaign=pub&utm_medium=web