Style

Christian Dior’s 2019 Collection Transcends the Runway with Dance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Dior unveils the Spring/Summer collection inspired by dance and movement, bringing a whole performance as models walk the runway with flowy, soft, and overall beautiful dresses. Maria Grazia Chiuri, Dior’s first female artistic director and designer brings the beauty of dance coexisting in the fashion world.

I have to admit that this is one of my most anticipated fashion shows this year. Prior to the show, Dior released instagram videos of dancers practicing in a studio, emphasizing the movement of legs. As a dancer and a fashion enthusiast, this concept filled my heart with joy. 

The day of the show, I watched the updates on instagram. The show takes place in Hippodrome de Longchamp, Paris. The exterior of the venue is decorated with quotes from iconic pioneers of dance, such as Isadora Duncan, Pina Bausch, and Sharon Eyal. Their quotes not only apply to dancers; such as Eyal’s “The most important thing is to enjoy dancing. And research inside your body, feel free – we are perfect as we are.” This quote is not only inspiring; but it is interesting to think about the use of this quote in the fashion industry where demands and standards to have perfect bodies still coexist within. This quote implies the concept of self-acceptance and that everyone is as “perfect as they are”, and it is refreshing to see such quotes be shown by a significant fashion house.

Now let’s talk about the show- it gets more and more exciting. The set is not your typical fashion runway. It takes place in a large room, stage-like. It is minimally decorated, but highly effective. Focusing on the lighting and multiple bright spotlights, the set brings to life an atmosphere that resembles a dance recital; intensified with white rose petals fluttering around among the dancers and models.

Did I say dancers? Yes. Dior incorporated a dance performance in the show. Dancers wearing marble-like patterned bodysuits– eight dancers took the stage performing a mix between improvisation combinations and choreography. The lighting design was perfect; the spotlight really captures each movement of the models and the dancers, making the audience have their undivided attention. The rest of the room was pitch dark, leaving no room for distractions. Even as a spectator through social media, I was really immersed to the show because of the set design. 

Let’s talk about the clothes! This collection’s color palette focused on neutral colors; black, white, beige, and anywhere in between. Beautiful watercolor-like patterns and ombre-dyed fabrics were used to add more prominence and variations in the designs. Dresses dominated the collection. Chiuri focused using fabrics that flow freely; which definitely matches the dance theme where dancers wear costumes made of flowy fabrics that follow the body’s movements. Just like dance, her clothes are more to the simple side because it is not the costumes what makes it look beautiful, but the dancer; which in this case are the consumers, to bring beauty to life through movement and progression. The makeup compliment the pieces perfectly as well, models with different eye makeup looks (some bold and some very natural) also hint concepts of personality and self-confidence as the way to bring yourself out there, instead of what you wear and how glamorous it looks. This concept is definitely not glamorous in a sense of diamonds and bling, but looking beautiful minimally is proven through the looks. 

Overall I believe that this has yet to be Chiuri’s best fashion show so far, topping my last favorite which was the 2018 Spring/Summer that was also held in Paris Fashion Week last year– truly a  collection with an impressive set as well, pieces of glass mirrors forming a mosaic-like indoor dome. This to me has been the winning fashion show of 2018 so far. Definitely looking forward to Dior’s creative direction in the future with Maria Grazia Chiuri as lady boss.

Watch the full show here.

Rania Cornelia

New School '22

Rania studies fine arts at The New School, specializing in oil painting and is currently exploring 3D mediums. She aspires to become a set designer for Saturday Night Live. On the side, she is also interested in astrophysics and fashion journalism. You can find her either at the MET or the Hayden Planetarium.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com