Brianni Taylor is Back with Drake-Inspired Exhibit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

On Oct. 10, NYC event producer and Bronx native Brianni Taylor curated a Drake-inspired art exhibit entitled “Views.” Luckily, in lieu of all of the excitement, HC was able to catch Taylor for an interview.

HC: Could you describe your day-to-day routine as an event producer?

Brianni: “I kind of have a strict regimen – I start 90 days before the event to secure a venue, date, DJ, catering, etc. I use those 90 days to request any sponsorship for the event as well. I like to do all of my hiring and finalize all event details between the 60 and 90-day mark. During the 60-day mark I usually make an announcement about the event stating when tickets will be on sale. Five to six weeks before the event is when I begin to sell tickets and reach out to publications to invite them to the event. This is when I begin all of my purchasing and start making security deposits. Each week leading to the date I release a new detail regarding the event. By the time the second or third week rolls around I just double back with all people involved to make sure they have an understanding of how the event is being ran. I go over the event agenda thoroughly! I get all of the last-minute things done, especially the day before. The day of, I’m a mess! I’m trying to make sure everyone arrives on time, and that everything is in place. And, around 10 minutes before the event begins I make sure everyone is in their places and that we are good to start the event.” 

HC: When did you decide that this was the career for you?

Brianni: “I decided last year. I coordinated a makeup event titled “Makeup & Mimosas” and it was so much fun, I loved every bit of it.” 

HC: What is your favorite part of curating an event?

Brianni: “The reception afterwards. I love looking through a hashtag or reading emails thanking me or praising how well-organized the event was. I love that people can associate my name with a great time; it makes me feel fulfilled.”

HC: Where do you find the inspiration for the events you host? For example, why did you decide to do a Drake-inspired exhibit at this time, as opposed to another artist/influencer?

Brianni: “The way I find inspiration is by thinking about the type of event that I would want to attend. I love Drake so much as an artist, I wanted to see him in art form. That’s usually how it goes. If I’m really interested in something, I just want to create an experience surrounding it.” 

HC: How many exhibits have you hosted thus far? Which exhibit were you most proud of? Why?

Brianni: “I’ve only curated two exhibits: ‘The Life Of Pablo’ and ‘Views.’ I’m most proud of my latest one because of how much fun it was. Everyone came and interacted with all different parts of the event, which is what I wanted so much. My vision was to have everyone enjoy each aspect, and from what I saw, they truly did.”

HC: How did you find or go about choosing the artists who were featured in “Views?”

Brianni: “A handful of the artists I knew personally, or they were a part of my last art exhibit which was ‘The Life Of Pablo’ exhibit. Others I found through the artists I knew or recommendations from people I knew. It wasn’t hard to find them, at all. I had so many to choose from.”

HC: Could you explain the segments in your own words; like what was the creative inspiration behind the segmented idea?

Brianni: “I wanted to be able to accommodate more than 300 people in one night. I know a lot of people were interested in going, so I just wanted to give everyone their fair share of the event. When it’s too crowded, people aren’t able to fully experience the art, the rooms, and so forth.” 

HC: Why did you choose to donate event proceeds to the Art and Resistance Through Education (ARTE)?

Brianni: ARTE is a non-profit organization that one of the contributing artists for the “Views” exhibit works for. I also was searching for a company to donate to that supported the youth and the arts, so it was a perfect fit. 

HC: What is next for you? Do you have any immediate goals you’d like to see met by the end of the year?

Brianni: “In November and December I’m coordinating women-based events. One will be the second edition of ‘Makeup and Mimosas,’ and the other will be a ‘No Boys Allowed Brunch’ that will consist of women bonding, building, and connecting with one another. By the end of the year I just want to be ready for what’s to come next year. In 2017 I plan to have my hugest event yet!”

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.