The Aftermath of a Natural Disaster: How to Help Those in DIRE Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Right now, 3.4 million Americans are without power.

Yes, you read that correctly.

With winds nearing 125 miles per hour at a speed of nearly 10 miles per hour, the deadly Category 4 Hurricane Maria pounded Puerto Rico earlier this week, rendering the island powerless, flooded, and in total destruction.

The storm also made a landing in the Dominican Republic, killing at least seven civilians.

Officials say it might be months before full power is restored in throughout the islands. And the Dominican Republic is already running low on food, medicine, shelter, and basic supplies.

This is a humanitarian matter. One we should get serious about. Natural disasters can strike at any time and their damage can be catastrophic. It is up to the rest of the world to step up and help in any way we can. Here are a few ways you can offer a hopeful and helpful hand.

DominicaRelief.org

DominicaRelief.org has launched the Dominica Hurricane Maria Relief Fund to raise funds for those in need. Not only can you donate money, but the website has a list of supplies needed for the island people. If you would rather donate items instead of funds, there is a phone number, email, and mailing address for the Consulate General of Dominica/Dominica Permanent Mission to the UN provided on the site.

SavetheChildren.org

Save the Children’s humanitarian mission is known by all. They stand by families and children and provide financial aid whenever disaster hits. They have set up a page collecting funds to help Puerto Rican families in desperate need. Here’s a direct link to the Hurricane Maria Save the Children page.

Hands.Org

Hands.org is a volunteer-based organization dedicated to helping those impacted by natural disasters, worldwide. The organization has dedicated a fund to help those in the U.S. Virgin Islands following Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria. Additionally, Hands.org is looking for volunteers to donate their time to the relief. If you have the time, energy, and compassion to join forces with the organization, please do. Volunteering your time for the sake of others is one of the most rewarding things we can ever accomplish, and it truly makes a difference in the world.

Supplies

If you are in the New York area, firehouses are collecting critically-needed items to send to Puerto Rico. These items include the following (taken from WNYC.ORG):

• Diapers
  • Baby food
  • Batteries
  • Tampons and Pads
  • First aid supplies

Items must be unused and in original packaging. For a list of drop-off stations, please refer to this link.

This matter is of crucial importance. Anything and everything helps. Families are in need. Little children are in need. Your help matters, and your contribution will make a difference. 

[Feature Image by [CBC]]

Rama Majzoub

New School

Rama is Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at The New School. She is on track to graduate with a master's in psychology in spring of 2018.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com