This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

After a year of online classes and university events, I’m sure we’re all in need of a refresh of our campus. I for one have always been directionally challenged when it comes to finding where my classes are located. During my freshman year of high school, I needed a friend to walk me to my algebra class every day because I was never certain which room it happened in. (I know, I don’t want to talk about it.) But, when I came to New York, I found the city streets easier to navigate than my small suburban high school that only had two floors! (Crazy, right?) 

The New School has so many buildings that go by so many names; every week of my first semester here, a new one would miraculously turn up on my walks around the neighborhood. Below you’ll find the buildings that comprise our “campus” here in Greenwich Village. From studios and practice spaces to auditoriums and lecture halls, it seems like there’s almost nothing you can’t do in our little academic universe—except for maybe play football, although I’d love to see any athletic competition happen in the courtyard.

With each passing year, my time at The New School has felt more comfortable, and I can assure all first-year students (and the sophomore class, too) that you’ll be able to find your way around campus in no time! Before you know it, you’ll be working on your thesis and the impending doom of not having access to the buildings’ libraries will haunt you… But for now, take it easy!

University Center, 63 5th Avenue

• With a residence hall, dining hall, studios, classrooms, auditoriums and more, it’s no wonder the UC is always packed with students. 

Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, 65 West 11th Street & Alvin Johnson/J.M. Kaplan Hall, 66 West 12th Street

• These two buildings are conjoined by Lang’s beloved courtyard. Both entrances will get you into your classes at Lang. Be sure to note which building your classroom is located in!

Lang Annex, 64 West 11th Street

• If you’re a Lang student, you’ll find your academic advisor’s offices located in the 11th Street annex, as well as other Lang professors’ offices. 

Albert and Vera List Academic Center, 6 East 16th Street

• Also known simply as “16th Street,” the Albert and Vera List Academic Center is home to a less populated library and quiet hallways, plus multipurpose spaces and equipment rentals.

Parsons East, 25 East 13th Street

• Home to the Light + Energy Lab, Metal and Wood Shops, Parsons East contains a number of studios for student artists to work in.

80 5th Avenue

• This administrative building houses the Student Health Center and other admin groups.

Fanton Hall/Welcome Center, 72 5th Avenue

• The Welcome Center is likely the first building you ever stepped foot in on campus. It’s right across the street from the UC.

Arnhold Hall, 55 West 13th Street

• Arnhold Hall is better known as the College of Performing Arts. Performance spaces for all performing artists can be found in this 13th Street building. 

School of Drama, 151 Bank Street

• The School of Drama’s building is situated west of the center of campus, between Washington Street and the West Side Highway. Its primary use is for graduate classes. 

Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, 2 West 13th Street, 68 5th Avenue, 66 5th Avenue

• The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center is better known as the Parsons buildings, full of studios, The Making Center, exhibition spaces and so much more. It’s a maze, so be sure to locate your classes accordingly! 

Residence Halls include the following:

• Kerrey Hall is right above the UC. Any student can live in Kerrey regardless of class status. 
  • Loeb Hall (135 East 12th Street) and Stuyvesant Park Residence (318 East 15th Street) are primarily reserved for first-year students.
  • Located in Chelsea, 20th Street Residence (300 West 20th Street) is the furthest on-campus living space and houses primarily sophomores, juniors, seniors and grad students.
  • 301 Residence (301 1st Avenue) is the newest addition to The New School’s family of dormitories. 
Claudia Langella is a Literary Studies major at Lang and is the Chapter Leader of HCTNS. When she's not writing, it's likely you'll find her in the kitchen or taking long walks in the city.